This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5959 / 50°35'45"N
Longitude: -3.6646 / 3°39'52"W
OS Eastings: 282281
OS Northings: 78674
OS Grid: SX822786
Mapcode National: GBR QN.NS85
Mapcode Global: FRA 376H.J4J
Entry Name: Devon House Flats
Listing Date: 3 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097430
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84482
Location: Bovey Tracey, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Bovey Tracey
Built-Up Area: Bovey Tracey
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bovey Tracey St Peter, St Paul and St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BOVEY TRACEY BOVEY TRACEY
12/39 Devon House Flats
The Devon House of Mercy for the Reception of Fallen Women, now block of flats.
1865, by Henry Woodyer. Coursed granite rubble with dressings of Bath stone; the
west face of the south-east wing has been rebuilt with artificial stone in the
ground storey. Some yellow brick buildings, possibly later additions, at the
western end. Slated roofs mostly tarred. Red brick chimney stacks with square
shafts attached and bracketed caps composed of projecting brick courses. Austere
High Victorian Gothic style. Consists of a long main range with cross-wings at
either end of the north and south sides, forming an approximate H-plan. Storeyed
entrance porch in centre of north side, large chapel wing at east end. At western
end a collection of lower buildings, some single storeyed, the stone-built ones with
rainwater heads dated 1865. 2 storeys with garrets, apart from the single storey
buildings at the western end. The building has mostly plain stone-mullioned or
mullioned-and-transomed windows with 2-centred heads to the lights, steeply pitched
roofs with gabled dormers, some of which (especially on the north side) have wood
casements with shouldered heads. A little carving round the window heads in the
south-east wing. Much of the original glazing survives, with 2 or 3 panes per
light, and also much old glass. Chapel radically altered, with C20 flat roof and
fenestration. Buttresses survive and also the 3-sided east end; each of the 3 sides
contains a triple lancet window (now blocked), although on the north-east side the
lower part of the window has been replaced by a C20 one. Only a small part of
interior inspected; a few chamfered, 2-centred arched stone doorways survive.
Foundation stone laid in 1865 by the Earl of Devon, whose second son, the vicar of
Bovey Tracey, appears to have played an important part in establishing the
institution. It was run by the Clewer Sisterhood of Windsor; 72 inmates originally.
Source: Morris's Directory for Devonshire, 1870, p.460. L Tregoning, Bovey Tracey,
1983, pp.39-40. C L Eastlake, Gothic Revival, 1872, pp.331-2.
Listing NGR: SX8228178674
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings