History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St David's

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sidmouth, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6789 / 50°40'43"N

Longitude: -3.242 / 3°14'31"W

OS Eastings: 312345

OS Northings: 87315

OS Grid: SY123873

Mapcode National: GBR P8.XS4J

Mapcode Global: FRA 4738.SY3

Entry Name: St David's

Listing Date: 12 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1097908

English Heritage Legacy ID: 87367

Location: Sidmouth, East Devon, Devon, EX10

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Sidmouth

Built-Up Area: Sidmouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Sidmouth

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Sidmouth

Listing Text

FORTFIELD TERRACE
1.
1633
Nos 1, 1½ (St David's)
to 10 (consec)
SY 1287 1/90 12.10.51.
II* GV
2.
Built 1792-1800. Terrace of 3 storey, 2 window, stucco faced houses set
on slight curve after Nos 1, 1½ which are stepped forward at beginning
of terrace. Moulded cornice and blocking course. Low pitch hipped slate
roofs. Two houses form a separate block with pediment over centre and
mansard slate roof, and this was probably intended as the central feature
of the terrace. As there are 8 houses on one side of this and only 2
on the other, presumably the terrace was not completed. The pedimented
block is connected with the adjacent houses by single storey porches with
3 bay Tuscan colonnades, corresponding pilasters to wall. Each has 2
6 panel double doors and central window, panelled below, all with semi-circular
fanlights, delicate radial swagged glazing bars. Balustraded parapets
over. (Above the joint porch of Nos 6 and 7 two storeys have been added
with rectangular bay windows with tent roofs on 1st floor). All the houses
have 1st floor wood trellis balconies with tent shaped canopies. The
balcony of No 8 has earlier iron rails. (A print of 1815 shows the
terrace without balconies). Recessed sash windows on ground and 2nd floors,
most of glazing bars missing. French windows to 1st floor. Apart from
entrances in colonnaded porches, the other houses have 6 panel doors with
semi-circular radial glazed fanlights. No 1 has recessed entrance bay
with tent-roofed glazed porch. No 10 has porch with entablature to side.
Each house an area, spike railings with urn finials. In the pediment
on semi detached block is a relief of a double headed eagle commemorating
the stay of the Grand Duchess Heleneof Russia (sister-in-law of the Tzar)
at No 8 in 1831. Lord Gwydir stayed at No 1 while his villa was being
built in 1815 and it is said that George IV, as Prince of Wales, visited
him there.

The terrace and its pavement form a group.


Listing NGR: SY1236887334

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.