This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0052 / 51°0'18"N
Longitude: -2.1986 / 2°11'54"W
OS Eastings: 386163
OS Northings: 122886
OS Grid: ST861228
Mapcode National: GBR 1XH.WGX
Mapcode Global: FRA 668G.C9C
Entry Name: The Remains of Shaftesbury Abbey
Listing Date: 20 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108779
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101941
Location: Shaftesbury, North Dorset, Dorset, SP7
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Shaftesbury
Built-Up Area: Shaftesbury
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Shaftesbury St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1655 The Remains of
ST 8622 2/4 20.6.52.
Site adjacent to Park Wall, where the foundations of the greater part of
the Abbey Church have been excavated. Many remains discovered, including
bones thought to be those of King Edward the Martyr, to whom the Abbey
was dedicated. The Abbey was a Benedictine Nunnery, founded by Alfred
in 888, his daughter being the 1st Abbess. AM.
See also Gold Hill.
Listing NGR: ST8613622887
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings