History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Moot Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Clacton-on-Sea, Essex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7934 / 51°47'36"N

Longitude: 1.169 / 1°10'8"E

OS Eastings: 618632

OS Northings: 215282

OS Grid: TM186152

Mapcode National: GBR VSB.GCP

Mapcode Global: VHLD5.65WZ

Plus Code: 9F33Q5V9+9J

Entry Name: The Moot Hall

Listing Date: 14 March 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111552

English Heritage Legacy ID: 119868

Location: Tendring, Essex, CO15

County: Essex

Electoral Ward/Division: St Pauls

Built-Up Area: Clacton-on-Sea

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Clacton St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in


TM 11 NE
7/8 No. 101 The Moot Hall
House. Late C15 and originally called Mannings Farmhouse, Hawstead, Bury St.
Edmunds. Moved in its entirety and re-erected on its present site c.1911 under
the direction of Messrs. Gill and Reigate of Oxford Street, London, architects,
with the addition of the chimney stacks and some windows. Timber framed,
vari-patterned red brick nogging infill. Red plain tiled roofs. Left and right
external red brick chimney stacks each with 3 attached diagonal shafts, bands
and capping, the rear stack with 2 similar shafts. T-plan, the rear wing with
plaster infill. 2 storeys and attics. Jettied first floor and central feature
gable with carved bressumers and carved bargeboards to gable. Close set heavy
studding with diagonal halved braces and jowled storey posts. 6 light mullion
window to gable. First floor central 5 light cross transom oriel with moulded
head and soffit, right and left 4 light mullion windows. Ground floor, carved
brackets to jetty. Left 6 light and right 4 light mullion and transom windows.
Returns with smaller similar vari-light mullion windows. All windows square
leaded, moulded mullions and transoms. Gabled porch and panelled door to rear
right. Essex County Chronicle 30 June 1911.

Listing NGR: TM1863215282

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.