History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Attached Walls and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Bloomsbury, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.521 / 51°31'15"N

Longitude: -0.1304 / 0°7'49"W

OS Eastings: 529810

OS Northings: 181885

OS Grid: TQ298818

Mapcode National: GBR G8.WY

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.P1FB

Entry Name: London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Attached Walls and Railings

Listing Date: 9 March 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113106

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477484

Location: Camden, London, WC1E

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Bloomsbury

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Bloomsbury Way St George

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


798-1/99/1100 (North side)
09/03/82 London School of Hygiene and
Tropical Medicine and attached walls
and railings


School of Medicine. 1926-8. By P Morley Horder and V Rees.
Steel frame construction, faced with Portland stone. Stripped
Classical style. Entrance block to Keppel Street, rest of
building laid out to the north in an H-plan.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic. Keppel Street facade 11
windows, the end bays recessed. Return to Malet Street 23
windows, the left hand 3 bays projecting; return to Gower
Street 24 windows, the right hand 3 bays projecting. Main
entrance square headed and architraved with a central carving
of entwined serpents supporting a panel showing Aesculapius in
his chariot. Metal framed, square-headed casement windows,
those on ground and 1st floor architraved. Entrance block 1st
floor windows with metal balconies decorated with gilded
tropical insects. Frieze with names of eminent medical
scientists set between vestigial pilaster capitals with laurel
wreaths. Cornice and blind attic storey above (fenestrated on
returns). At the right-hand angle of the entrance block a
foundation stone laid by the Rt Hon Neville Chamberlain, 7
July 1926.
INTERIOR not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached stone walls, on returns with
plain railings of horizontal bands.

Listing NGR: TQ2981081885

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.