This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.551 / 53°33'3"N
Longitude: -2.396 / 2°23'45"W
OS Eastings: 373857
OS Northings: 406111
OS Grid: SD738061
Mapcode National: GBR CWQC.2S
Mapcode Global: WH982.509K
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 29 September 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113252
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477729
Location: Bolton, BL4
Electoral Ward/Division: Farnworth
Built-Up Area: Farnworth
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Farnworth and Kearsley
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 70 NW,
Town Hall. 1909, with late C20 alternations and extension. By Bradshaw and Gass, architects, of Bolton for the Farnworth Urban District Council. Smooth red brick with ashlar sandstone dressings, central cupola and hipped roof with a slate covering. Free Classical style.
FRONT (south-west) ELEVATION: symmetrical composition of 2 storeys, with advanced pedimented entrance of 3 bays and set-back 3-bay flanking ranges, extended on the left-hand side by a C20 single bay addition, itself set back. Entrance doorway enclosed by semi-circular open porch accessed from a flight of steps. The porch is set against an ashlar V-jointed masonry panel incorporating the entrance doorway, and above the porch a 3-light mullioned window flanked by single-light openings. Above the window, and set within a broad pediment, a Diocletian window with flanking ashlar pilasters. The attenuated keystone to the central window links with carved enrichments of the band course above. V-jointed pilasters to corners, and tripartite windows with glazing bar sashes to each side of the porch. Brick flanking ranges with 2-light windows with paired glazing bar sashes to each bay, set between shallow pilasters. The centre bay to each range is capped by a segmental pediment, rising from a moulded cornice. Below the pediment on the left hand side, a carved stone panel with the District Council's Coat of Arms. Set back later C20 single bay extension replicates the detail of the main range.
INTERIOR: much late C20 remodelling, but with double return principal staircase at end of entrance hall with stone stairs and moulded stone balusters and handrail. massive ground floor terminal piers with scrolled buttresses and late C20 lamp fittings capping the piers. Stair window with contemporary stained glass, including the Coat of Arms, and other heraldic motifs. Former council chamber to first floor has lost its furniture, but retains rectangular wall panelling, double doorways with segmental pediments as door heads, and panelled wall screen to former dais with broken segmental pediment above frieze bearing the Coat of Arms.
The Town Hall forms part of a notable early C20 civic ensemble designed for the Urban District Council of Bradshaw and Gass. It forms a group with the Library (item 8/10017) and the Baptist Church (item 8/1001 S)
Listing NGR: SD7385706111
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings