History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Baptist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Farnworth, Bolton

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5516 / 53°33'5"N

Longitude: -2.3973 / 2°23'50"W

OS Eastings: 373776

OS Northings: 406177

OS Grid: SD737061

Mapcode National: GBR CWPC.SL

Mapcode Global: WH97W.4ZQP

Entry Name: Former Baptist Church

Listing Date: 13 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385698

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471103

Location: Bolton, BL4

County: Bolton

Electoral Ward/Division: Farnworth

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Farnworth

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Farnworth and Kearsley

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Ellenbrook

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/03/2019

SD 70 NW
1664/9/10015

FARNWORTH
Bolton Road
No. 89, Alan Ball House
Former Baptist Church

(Formerly listed as Baptist Church, FARNWORTH)


II
Baptist church, disused at time of inspection (September 1998) 1907, with late C20 alterations. By Bradshaw and Gass, architects of Bolton. Smooth red brick with terra-cotta dressings and decorative banding below a Welsh slated roof.

FRONT (west) ELEVATION: central doorway bay terminates at a wide segmental pediment, with lower flanking bays with parapets above a moulded cornice. Doorway with moulded surround and open pediment, below a tall central window with flanking columns and a blind semi-circular head. Flanking bays with shallow pilasters framing a narrow lancet, all of the elevational elements combining to form a giant Venetian window above door head band course level. Half glazed double doors with curved heads, and windows subdivided into small panes. Set-back end bays with parapets, lower again, the return with two-light windows to upper level, and formerly with single storeyed rooms to the angles of front and side ranges.

SIDE (north) ELEVATION: segmental pediment to central transept gable incorporating a central Venetian gallery window above a tripartite ground floor opening, both flanked by broad flat pilasters. Lower bays with parapets to left and right, the former with a canted bay window to ground floor and a Diocletian window above. Two bays to right with matching Diocletian window, and ground floor windows, all of the ground floor openings with heads set within wide band course. The south side elevation has a wide central transept gable incorporating a Venetian window.

INTERIOR: fully-galleried interior now with seating removed except for surviving benches to west gallery. Continuous curved panelled front to galleries, and below, at west end, canted panelled pulpit with flanking stairs. West wall with panelled doors leading to former vestries. Main stairs to galleries with flat straight and curved balusters. Shallow vaulted ceiling to church, the central part a massive quadripartite vault with the vault segments glazed, and including stained glass with Art Nouveau decoration.

An early C20 Baptist Church of distinctive form, designed by an architectural practice of national reputation, which, despite minor alterations continues to form an important component of a prominent and well-preserved municipal group.

Listing NGR: SD7377606177

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.