This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4567 / 51°27'23"N
Longitude: -0.9698 / 0°58'11"W
OS Eastings: 471674
OS Northings: 173578
OS Grid: SU716735
Mapcode National: GBR QMF.78
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.4NN6
Entry Name: Town Council Chamber and Offices with Clock Tower
Listing Date: 22 March 1957
Last Amended: 14 December 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113400
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38761
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Town Council Chamber
and Offices with Clock
(Formerly listed as
Town Hall and Municipal
Offices (The block designed
by Sir Alfred Waterhouse
SU 7173 NE 1/26 22.3.57.
1872-75 (foundation stone 1874) by Alfred Waterhouse. French Gothic style.
2 storeys and attic. 5 storey tower. Built in red and grey brick with terracotta
ornaments. Tower placed to close vistas from Friar Street and Market Place.
The whole is modest in scale and surprising in its use of the local materials,
uncharacteristically 'soft' for Waterhouse. Tower is over entrance lobby.
Corbelled polygonal buttresses at corners with finials and steep saddle back
roof. Clock below belfry screen. Pointed arch entrance with shields and date
in spandrels. To left the Council Chamber, 4 bays with slight break gabled
to left. Paired lights in segmental headed recesses to ground floor. Tall
lancets with label moulds and polychromed tympana over 2 light double transom
windows which contain Waterhouse pink grisaille glass. Roundel with arms of
Borough in gable below attic window. 1 gabled dormer. To right of tower the
effect altered by removal of 2nd tower following war damage. Angled round
to east, 3 storeys with modillion cornice to pierced parapet. 4 bays divided
by diagonal buttresses; 2 light transomed windows in segmental headed recesses.
Interior: Rich entrance lobby leads to stair hall with enclosed arcaded staircase,
segmental arches whose mouldings lie into piers. Council chamber retains original
fittings, Gothic fireplace, gallery, benches, tables etc.
Listing NGR: SU7166773577
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings