History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Thomas' Chapel Approximately 20 Metres South of Chapel Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Meppershall, Central Bedfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0125 / 52°0'45"N

Longitude: -0.3299 / 0°19'47"W

OS Eastings: 514715

OS Northings: 236215

OS Grid: TL147362

Mapcode National: GBR H51.TMF

Mapcode Global: VHGNC.7PF2

Entry Name: St Thomas' Chapel Approximately 20 Metres South of Chapel Farmhouse

Listing Date: 31 October 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113845

English Heritage Legacy ID: 37849

Location: Meppershall, Central Bedfordshire, SG17

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Meppershall

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Meppershall

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Shefford

Listing Text

TL 13NW MEPPERSHALL CHAPEL ROAD
3/60

31.10.66 St Thomas' Chapel,
approximately 20 metres S
of Chapel Farmhouse

GV II*

Former chapel, now used as barn. Dedicated to Saint Thomas the Martyr, the
chapel was attached to the Grange belonging to Chicksands Priory. Circa
1175, chancel rebuilt c.1500. Coursed ironstone rubble, coursed limestone
rubble, ashlar dressings, with repairs in red brick. Clay tile roofs. All
original openings blocked with red brick. Consists of aisleless nave and
chancel, chancel roof slightly higher than nave. Nave: 3 bays. Through
purlin roof with straight wind braces. W elevation wall mostly rebuilt in
brick with-pointed-arched doorway, the gable rendered. N and S elevations
each have one early C14 pointed-arched 2 light window to E bay, only the N one
retaining some of its flowing tracery. C12 doorway at W end of N elevation
has enriched round arch with billet and lozenge mouldings, and foliate
capitals below which columns have been remover. Chancel: 2-bays. Original
clasped purlin roof with curved wind braces. Central truss has moulded stone
corbels, S one with grotesque head. E elevation has 3-centred arched
window and rendered gable. N and S elevations each have 2-light window with
flat head to E bay. N elevation has 4-centred doorway opposite single-light
low-side window to S elevation.


Listing NGR: TL1471536215

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.