This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9894 / 51°59'21"N
Longitude: -0.6051 / 0°36'18"W
OS Eastings: 495878
OS Northings: 233250
OS Grid: SP958332
Mapcode National: GBR F2D.9TG
Mapcode Global: VHFQY.G8G7
Entry Name: Bedford Estates Office and Adjoining Bloomsbury Stud Buildings, Forming South West Part of Park Farm Complex
Listing Date: 23 January 1961
Last Amended: 16 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114020
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38279
Location: Woburn, Central Bedfordshire, MK17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Woburn
Built-Up Area: Woburn
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Woburn
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SP 9433-9533 WOBURN WOBURN PARK
23.1.61 Bedford Estates Office and
adjoining Bloomsbury Stud
buildings, forming SW part
of Park Farm complex (formerly listed
as Woburn Abbey Estate Office and
GV II adjoining stables to NE)
Former farm buildings belonging to Park Farm, partly converted to offices
c. 1880. Park Farm is a model farm designed 1795 (completed 1797) by Robert
Salmon, resident architect and "mechanist" to the estate, for Francis 5th Duke
of Bedford. Red brick, the main elevations in coursed ironstone. Shallow
pitched slate roofs. Long low single-storeyed main block, approximately 100
metres long, with various blocks projecting southwards (to rear). To W end
these rear blocks form a courtyard. Rustic Neo-classical style. (front)
elevation: symmetrical arrangement. 4 single-storeyed ranges link slightly
projecting gabled blocks, the 2 end one single-storeyed, 3 others 2-storeyed.
2-storeyed gables have elliptical arches, LH one a carriage arch, 2 RH ones
infilled with recessed part-glazed doors and sidelights (probably late C19).
2 LH ones have round-arched 2-light windows to first floor, RH one has clock
face to first floor. LH one is surmounted by timber pyramidal-roofed bell-
cote. Where early windows survive these are casements with ornamental
geometric glazing bars probably c.1830. To end these are replaced by late
C19 mullioned windows in enlarged openings. Some C20 double stable doors to E
end. Deep eaves and verges with moulded timber cornices. The 5th Duke was
deeply interested in estate management and agricultural developments. Park
Farm was intended as a place to demonstrate new agricultural technology, and
was the setting for the annual Woburn Sheep Shearing, depicted in George
Garrard's painting of 1804 and his engraving of the same subject.
Bedfordshire Record Office: R Box 818 bundle 18/40 and 41, 1873 and 1879
plans for alterations; J M Robinson, "Farming on a Princely Scale: Estate
buildings of the 5th and 6th Dukes of Bedford at Woburn 1787-1839",
Architectural Review, November 1976, pp. 276-279.
Listing NGR: SP9587833250
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings