This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9898 / 51°59'23"N
Longitude: -0.6043 / 0°36'15"W
OS Eastings: 495931
OS Northings: 233287
OS Grid: SP959332
Mapcode National: GBR F2D.B03
Mapcode Global: VHFQY.G7WZ
Entry Name: Park Farm Mill and Granary, Now Forming North West Block of Bloomsbury Stud
Listing Date: 23 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1321671
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38281
Location: Woburn, Central Bedfordshire, MK17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Woburn
Built-Up Area: Woburn
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Woburn
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SP 9433-9533 WOBURN WOBURN PARK
23.1.61 Park Farm Mill and
Granary, now forming NW
block of Bloomsbury Stud
Former mill and granary belonging to Park Farm, a model farm begun 1795 by
Robert Salmon, resident architect and 'mechanist' to the estate, for Francis,
5th Duke of Bedford. Damaged by fire 1834, after which it was rebuilt and
extended. Mottled red brick, with dressings mostly in gauged yellow bricks.
Slate roofs. Main rectangular block is 2-storeyed, with single-storeyed
block projecting to N. Slightly rustic Neo-classical style. W elevation:
asymmetrical arrangement. 2-storeyed main block has hipped roof to RH end.
2 slightly projecting gables of 2 storeys and attics, one to LH end, other
off-centre. Gables have doorways with flanking sidelights. These
sidelights, the semi-circular gable attic windows and the 3-light casements
elsewhere have ornamental geometric glazing bars. LH gable door part-glazed.
Block between gables has single door to ground floor, double door to first
floor, RH gable has double doors to both floors, all plank doors. To L of
main block is single-storeyed block with plank door and 3-light casement.
Deep eaves and verges with moulded timber cornices. Interior: retains mill
machinery, probably C19 replacement of that originally designed by Salmon.
Also, a 25 h.p. gas engine of 1895 by Crossley Brothers of Manchester. None
of machinery now in use. The 5th Duke was greatly interested in estate
management and agricultural developments. Park Farm was intended as a place
to demonstrate new agricultural technology, and was the setting for the annual
Woburn Sheep Shearing, depicted in George Garrard's painting of 1804 and
engraving of the same subject.
Bedfordshire Record Office: R Box 818 bundle 18/4-12, plans and elevations of
mill ranging from late C18 to later C19;
H Howes, Bedfordshire Mills Bedfordshire County Council, 1963, p.65;
J M Robinson, "Farming on a Princely Scale: Estate buildings of the 5th and
6th Dukes of Bedford at Woburn 1787-1839",
Architectural Review,November 1976, pp 276-279.
Listing NGR: SP9593133287
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings