History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Centre North Block of Bloomsbury Stud, Forming Part of Park Farm Complex

A Grade II Listed Building in Woburn, Central Bedfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.9898 / 51°59'23"N

Longitude: -0.6038 / 0°36'13"W

OS Eastings: 495965

OS Northings: 233296

OS Grid: SP959332

Mapcode National: GBR F2D.B4H

Mapcode Global: VHFQY.H74X

Entry Name: Centre North Block of Bloomsbury Stud, Forming Part of Park Farm Complex

Listing Date: 23 January 1961

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1158377

English Heritage Legacy ID: 38282

Location: Woburn, Central Bedfordshire, MK17

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Woburn

Built-Up Area: Woburn

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Woburn

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

23.1.61 Centre N block of
Bloomsbury Stud, forming
part of Park Farm complex
Former cow houses belonging to Park Farm. This model farm was begun 1795 by
Robert Salmon, resident architect and 'mechanist' to the estate, for Francis
5th Duke of Bedford. This block is of slightly later date and does not
appear on George Garrard's painting of Woburn Sheep Shearing (1804, but
probably depicting scene of c.1801). Coursed ironstone. Slate roofs. Low
single-storeyed blocks arranged around small rectangular yard, main elevation
facing E. Rustic Neo-classical style. E elevation: symmetrical, with
central 2-storeyed slightly projecting gable and single-storeyed slightly
projecting gables to each end. Central gable has elliptical-arched recess
containing 4-light window. Arched head rises into first floor, and is
surmounted by round-arched window. Impost string course is in line with
eaves of flanking single-storey wings. Each of latter has 2 3-light windows.
All windows except first floor one are casements with ornamental geometric
glazing bars, possibly c.1830. Outer gables each have plank door. Deep
eaves and verges with moulded timber cornices. Louvred ridge ventilators to
roofs. The 5th and 6th Dukes were interested in estate management and
agricultural developments. Park Farm was intended as a place to demonstrate
new agricultural technology, and was the setting for the annual Woburn Sheep
Bedfordshire Record Office: R Box 818 bundle 18/26, plans and elevations for
"Feeding Sheds", n.d. but probably early C19; J M Robinson, "Farming on a
Princely Scale: Estate buildings of the 5th and 6th Dukes of Bedford at Woburn
1787-1839", Architectural Review, November 1976, pp 276-279.

Listing NGR: SP9596533296

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.