This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1363 / 52°8'10"N
Longitude: -0.7084 / 0°42'30"W
OS Eastings: 488496
OS Northings: 249456
OS Grid: SP884494
Mapcode National: GBR CZ6.1Q3
Mapcode Global: VHDSN.NKVN
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 17 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115943
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350931
Location: Emberton, Milton Keynes, MK46
County: Milton Keynes
Civil Parish: Emberton
Built-Up Area: Emberton
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Emberton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 84 NE EMBERTON CHURCH LANE
5/26 Parish Church of
Parish Church. Chancel, nave and aisles built c1340, west tower
early C15. Porches and vestry c1870. Nave much restored and clerestory
rebuilt c1870. Chancel walls ashlar, remainder of coursed rubblestone.
Chancel roof tile, the remainder slated. 2 bay chancel, 5 bay
nave with aisles, west tower and north and south porches. Chancel
has 5-light east window and 2 windows of 3-lights to each side, all
with Decorated flowing ogee light tracery. Plain plinth,moulded
sill, string course. Moulded cornice enriched with flowers, grotesque
heads and hearts. Buttresses, one to middle of north wall, two at each
east angle have gabled heads, those on east have square pinnacles,
enriched with crocketed gables and traceried sides, below are niches
with trefoil pointed heads and gabled labels. Nave has north and
south porches c1870 and 3-light windows with Victorian Decorated
tracery, reticulated or flowing, 2 to the east of the porches one
to their west (By 1850 all Medieval tracery in the nave had been
removed). Clerestory has 5 quatrefoil Victorian windows. West tower
of 2 stages with a north east stair-turret and diagonal west buttresses.
West doorway of 3 moulded orders, 2-light windows over. Bell chamber
has 2-light windows with outer arch of 3 orders. Upper storey replaced
belfry removed in 1850. Coped parapet. Interior: Chancel arch early
C15 of 2 moulded orders dying into the walls. Nave arcade of 5 bays
with pointed arches of 2 moulded orders. Piers of 4 engaged shafts
with moulded bell capitals and bases. Moulded labels with modern
stops. Tower arch of 3 chamfered acutely pointed orders, outermost
continuous, inner two with 3 attached shafts, moulded bell capitals
and bases. Piscina and Sedilia range in chancel. 4 bays of cusped
ogee arches with moulded capitals and, in spandrels, shields with
instruments of the Passion. Piscina in left bay. On north side of
chancel oak 3-bay screen withcusped foiled arches, C15; font is
octagonal bowl with tracery pattern panels. Stem also panelled.
Moulded base, c1400. Brass in chancel north wall, John Mordon alias
Andrew, 1410. Figure of priest in mass vestments. North chancel window
has stained glass by O'Connor, 1865. At west end War Memorial by
Farmer and Brindley, c1920. Alabaster angel on oxblood marble plinth.
RCHM II. 111. Mon. 1
Listing NGR: SP8849649456
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings