History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Stoke Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Stoke sub Hamdon, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.955 / 50°57'18"N

Longitude: -2.7354 / 2°44'7"W

OS Eastings: 348440

OS Northings: 117543

OS Grid: ST484175

Mapcode National: GBR MJ.N4SW

Mapcode Global: FRA 565L.64M

Entry Name: East Stoke Cottage

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116925

English Heritage Legacy ID: 442482

Location: Stoke Sub Hamdon, South Somerset, Somerset, TA14

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Stoke sub Hamdon

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

7/346 East Stoke Cottage
Detached house. Dated 1696, but with C19 and C20 modifications. Ham stone ashlar facade, coursed rubble with dressings
to sides; plain clay tile roof to steep pitch between coped gables; ashlar chimney stacks with moulded caps. Two
storeys with attic, 3 bays. Plain mullioned windows with slight chamfers, no labels, 3-light above did 4-light to lower
outer bays: to lower bay 2 a 6-fielded-panel door in wave-mould recess uner deep lintol, on which is carved a shield
inscribed 'D/WD/1696'. On west gable a lower 2-storey extension with gabletted and ball finial to coping, with a
segmental keystoned archway, now mostly blocked, with a C17 door set in a C20 frame to left and C20 garage doors to
right; small 2-light casement window above; in main west gable a 2-light ovolo-mould mullioned window with label, it
first floor level. Two similar mullioned windows in east gable, both with triangular relieving arches over, the lower
with mullion removed and adapted for French doors, to attic a small circular window cut in one stone. Long rear
extension from south-east corner, with hipped plain clay tile roof over stone slate base courses: north bay has
hollow-chamfer mullioned 2-light windows with labels, the upper rectangular leaded with iron-framed opening lights;
further south are Cl9 and C20 windws. Another C20 addition to south-east corner. Interior not seen. (VAG Report, SR0
Unpublished, September, 1972).

Listing NGR: ST4844017543

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.