This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5495 / 51°32'58"N
Longitude: -0.8103 / 0°48'37"W
OS Eastings: 482588
OS Northings: 184073
OS Grid: SU825840
Mapcode National: GBR D60.ZXJ
Mapcode Global: VHDWH.W9ZZ
Plus Code: 9C3XG5XQ+RV
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 25 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117524
English Heritage Legacy ID: 40909
Location: Hurley, Windsor and Maidenhead, SL6
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Civil Parish: Hurley
Built-Up Area: Hurley
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Burchetts Green
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 88 SW 5/177
Church of St Mary
Part of the Benedictine priory, now the parish church. C12, altered C15, restored 1852 by Hakewill. Flint, chalk, Caen stone, tile, coped gabled roof. Continuous nave and chancel, and a timber bell turret at the west end.
Nave; north side: four round-headed C12 windows with original splayed inner jambs; the second from the west is C19. Between the second and third windows from the west end is a blocked round-headed doorway of two square orders, with quirked chamfered abaci at the springing of the head. South side: six round-headed C12 windows similar to those on the north wall. Under the third window from the west is a round-headed doorway mostly of C19. Stonework externally.
West end: round-headed doorway: C12, much restored, two orders, the outer order having elaborate chevron enrichment, and carried upon shafted jambs with scalloped capitals and quirked chamfered abaci, C19 hood mould. Above the doorway is a C19 round-headed window with C12 jambs. On the apex of the gable is a wooden bell turret with louvred sides and a tile hipped roof surmounted with a cross. Large clasping buttresses projecting from each corner.
Chancel, north side: three C12 round-headed windows with original splayed inner jambs. The easternmost window is blocked by The Cloisters (listed separately 17/10) adjoining on the north. East side: two round-headed windows with a small circular window above. These may be C12 but have C19 external stonework. South side: three windows, the two easternmost similar to those in the north wall and the third is early C14 with two trefoiled ogee lights with reticulated tracery under a pointed head. Below this window is a small ogee-headed recess, with sunk spandrels forming a square outline, with moulded jambs. To the right of this is a C19 priest's doorway.
Interior: fine early C15 octagonal font tapering towards the bottom with sides of traceried panelling with small buttresses at the angles.
Monuments: against the north wall of the chancel is an early C17 monument to John Lovelace of Ladye Place, d. 1558, and his wife d. 1579. It consists of a large strapwork panel, formerly containing an inscription; flanked by detached Ionic columns supporting an entablature above which is a second stage divided into three panels by small Doric columns. At the foot are two male figures dressed in Elizabethan costume.
Listing NGR: SU8258884073
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings