This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2854 / 53°17'7"N
Longitude: -2.9024 / 2°54'8"W
OS Eastings: 339935
OS Northings: 376872
OS Grid: SJ399768
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z5F.FZ
Mapcode Global: WH87V.DP46
Entry Name: Former John Street Cp School
Listing Date: 22 June 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119791
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469347
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH65
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Rossmore
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Ellesmere Port
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Ellesmere Port Team
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ37NE ELLESMERE PORT JOHN STREET
389/2/10000 Former John Street CP School
School, latterly offices. 1911-12, with minor late C20 alterations. Attributed to Charles E. Deacon and Horsburgh of Liverpool, architects, for the Cheshire County Council. Blue, and narrow red brick with ashlar sandstone dressings, tall mid-slope chimneys and Westmorland slate roof coverings.
PLAN: Rectangular plan, comprised of parallel front and rear ranges and returns, the two ranges treated differently, and enclosing a taller central hall.
FRONT (north-east) ELEVATION: symmetrical front, with twin-gabled entrance, each gablet in ashlar, that to the left with the letters C.C.C (Cheshire County Council), that to the right dated 1912. Beneath the dentil course linking both, a frieze bearing the inscription 'JOHN ST. SCHOOL' in raised lettering. Below the gablets, central and outer pilasters, and between, 2 tall tripartite windows, 7:21:7 panes with pivoting upper lights. Flanking set-back bays with 2 casements of 4:12:12 panes. At each end, twin gables, each with a 7:14:7 pane window flanked by 10-pane casements. Window openings set beneath gauged brick arches.
FRONT (south-west) ELEVATION: 15 bays, with advanced end bays beneath pyramidal roofs. Bays 2 and 14 are flat-roofed, and link with centre part with 5 tall through-eaves windows, 7:14:7 panes, beneath wide flat gauged-arched heads. These are flanked by 8-pane casements. Between the tall windows, mid-span chimney stacks with corbelled caps. END ELEVATIONS provided separate entrances for girls and boys, by means of a central flat-roofed porch, each with a semi-circular pediment, and set-back double doors.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: The school was built in the early years of the county council's role as education authority.
The school is of an unusual plan form, and its single storeyed layout and compact spatial arrangement is in marked contrast to the architecture of late C19 Board Schools. Deacon and Horsburgh designed the near by Cambridge Road School in 1907.
Listing NGR: SJ3993576872
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings