This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2814 / 53°16'53"N
Longitude: -2.8973 / 2°53'50"W
OS Eastings: 340271
OS Northings: 376424
OS Grid: SJ402764
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z6H.JF
Mapcode Global: WH87V.GSK8
Plus Code: 9C5V74J3+H3
Entry Name: Queens Cinema
Listing Date: 5 October 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384939
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485398
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH65
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Ellesmere Port Town
Built-Up Area: Ellesmere Port
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Ellesmere Port Team
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ47NW WHITBY ROAD
389/3/10016 Ellesmere Port
05-OCT-00 Queens Cinema
Also Known As: Mecca Bingo Club, WHITBY ROAD, Ellesmere Port
Bingo club, formerly cinema, built in 1912-13 for the Ellesmere Port Picture Palace Company. Stock brick, rendered and painted to front, with hipped roof. Double-height auditorium with balcony, entered through small foyer.
EXTERIOR: Two-storey entrance front arranged as a screen to the auditorium, which breaks forward and accommodates the foyer block - the return walls of which are treated as canted angles. There are three pilasters on each angled flank, which demarcate the changes of direction. The wall screening the auditorium terminates in a pilaster surmounted by an urn finial. The lower storey is of channelled rustication, the upper one of pseudo ashlar. Above the twin entrance doors is a canopy with late twentieth-century fascias. In the upper storey, there are two windows set between pilasters in the canted angle section. The three windows over the entrance have been covered over by a hoarding. Continuous frieze, above which is a modillioned cornice. Over the entrance this cornice breaks into a semi-circular pediment, in the tympanum of which is a baroque cartouche containing the date when the cinema was completed: 1913. A single-storey screen wall of channelled rustication continues on the right flank only. Hipped roof seen above canted angle section.
INTERIOR: Small foyer with cornice containing ovolo moulding. Circular central ceiling decoration with bay leaf moulding. On the left of the foyer, narrow stairs lead up to a small upper foyer for the balcony. Double-height auditorium, which is divided into bays by pilasters which extend above the cornice (ovolo mouldings) to form plaster arches with, on the outer face, bay leaf decoration. Over the balcony these plaster arches are cut back to allow sufficient headroom. Plaster roundels in the ceiling surrounding ventilation outlets. The pilasters and the intervening panels are given classical regularity by a string moulding positioned towards the top of the walls. The dado rail descends to correspond with the raking floor, now stepped. There is a straight-fronted balcony at the rear with panelled decoration. Late twentieth-century proscenium arch with chamfers on the corners.
ANALYSIS: A good example of a typical early cinema, with much surviving detail. Of particular interest is the fine neo-baroque facade. Films ceased c.1968.
Clive Garner and P A Carson, The Silver Screens of the Wirral, 1989, pp.105-7
Listing NGR: SJ4027176424
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings