This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8028 / 54°48'10"N
Longitude: -1.6359 / 1°38'9"W
OS Eastings: 423501
OS Northings: 545385
OS Grid: NZ235453
Mapcode National: GBR KD0X.M3
Mapcode Global: WHC4H.VJ5Y
Entry Name: Witton Hall and Wall Attached
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Last Amended: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120696
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110041
Location: Witton Gilbert, County Durham, DH7
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Witton Gilbert
Built-Up Area: Witton Gilbert
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Witton Gilbert
Church of England Diocese: Durham
WITTON GILBERT CHURCH LANE
NZ 24 NW
1/50 Witton Hall and
28/2/52 wall attached.
Witton Hall Farm)
Probably grange of late C12 leper hospital, built by Gilbert de la Ley;
rebuilt 1399-1400. Now house. C18 and later additions. Wall attached to
front. Render with painted plinth and ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof.
Wall rubble, with some large stones, and quoins; coping obscured by vegetation
at time of survey. House L-plan. Main range facing south: 2 storeys, 3 bays;
central door with 3-over-3 panels under 4-pane overlight; 3-light flanking
windows have late C20 glazing under segmental heads. 3 first-floor sashes
with glazing bars. Roof, hipped at right, has left end rendered chimney, and
right chimney set slightly back from eaves of rear wing. Right return to
street 3 storeys, 3 bays. First bay blank except for blocked high C14 window,
with ball-flower ornament to hollow surround of 2-centred-arched plate-tracery
head, and fleur-de-lys ornament to quatrefoil between similarly-shaped heads
of 2 lights; lower parts of window rendered over except for moulded surround.
2-light stone-mullioned window on top floor of second bay; third bay has
paired sashes with glazing bars on ground and first floors, and C20 window
with glazing bars on second floor, 2-storey, 2-bay extension to wing has
similar windows, and pent one-storey, one-bay extension. Chimney on rear
gable. Rear elevation shows 2-bay outshut under catslide roof filling space
between wing and main range.
High wall extends c.2 metres from right of house, containing boarded door,
and returns, ramped down, along right side of garden for c.10 metres, ending
in single quoin. Rubble extension not of interest.
Interior shows round-headed dripmould to ground floor at rear of third bay
of main range, within rear wing; this opening blocked and plastered; other
face, within main range, has bulge suggesting dividing mullion in opening.
Rear first-floor passage in main range has opening in wall to roof space.
Roof shows massive kerbed principals, and arched tie-beams with shallow graduated
slots, possibly decorative. Roof only partly inspected, and remainder of
building interior not inspected.
Sources: Information from M. Snape, Prior's Kitchen, Department of Palaeography
and Diplomatic, University of Durham, concerning Muniments of the Dean and
Chapter of Durham.
Surtees Society Vol. 99, p.216.
R. Surtees, History of Durham, II, p.369.
Listing NGR: NZ2350145385
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings