This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8021 / 54°48'7"N
Longitude: -1.636 / 1°38'9"W
OS Eastings: 423498
OS Northings: 545304
OS Grid: NZ234453
Mapcode National: GBR KD0X.MC
Mapcode Global: WHC4H.VK4J
Plus Code: 9C6WR927+RJ
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 10 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323240
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110042
Location: Witton Gilbert, County Durham, DH7
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Witton Gilbert
Built-Up Area: Witton Gilbert
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Witton Gilbert
Church of England Diocese: Durham
WITTON GILBERT CHURCH LANE
NZ 24 NW
1/51 (inset) Church of St.
10/5/67 Michael and
Chapel dependant on St. Oswald's, Durham until it became parish church in
1423. C12; 1859-60 north nave wall and chancel by T. Austin. Coursed squared
sandstone with plinth and ashlar dressings; roof of Welsh slate with stone
gable copings. Nave with north aisle and west porch; chancel with north
vestry. Gabled porch has double boarded doors in 2-centred-arched surround
under dripmould; stone cross finial; small round-headed windows in returns.
C12 inner doorway has round-headed surround with broach-stopped chamfers.
South elevation of similar date 4 bays, with partly-blocked round-headed
door, in slightly-chamfered surround,in secondbay; paired round-headed
windows in first bay, and single window in third, have similar surrounds;
tall 2-light C14 window in fourth bay has cusped tracery under label mould.
Large buttress defines chancel, which has one slender round-headed window.
Large blocks on this elevation, with some narrower courses. Large east window
C14 with cusped intersecting tracery. North aisle has blocked door, and
paired and single windows, in C12 style. Small medieval grave cover with
incised cross set over west aisle window. Cl9 west six-foil window set in
nookshafts under chamfered arch and dripmould; double-arched gabled bellcote.
Stone cross finials on steeply-pitched roof.
Interior: painted plaster over boarded dado, ashlar dressings; arch-braced
roof, on C19 stone corbels, with collars and small king posts. C19 north
arcade of 3 double-chamfered arches with octagonal capitals to round piers on
moulded plinths; scallop capitals on end corbels. Similar chancel arch on
moulded corbels. Trefoil-headed piscina. South chancel window has geometric
glass of 1858; other windows late C19 and early C20. Jacobean-style carved
wood pulpit on stone plinth. Norman octagonal bowl font on Frosterley 'marble'
pedestal. Monuments include classical white marble on black mount signed
G. Green, Newcastle, to Rev. R. Richardson, died 1839.
Listing NGR: NZ2349845304
Other nearby listed buildings