History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blaisdon Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Blaisdon, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8506 / 51°51'1"N

Longitude: -2.4398 / 2°26'23"W

OS Eastings: 369804

OS Northings: 216975

OS Grid: SO698169

Mapcode National: GBR FY.TPF8

Mapcode Global: VH86S.NRK7

Entry Name: Blaisdon Hall

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1121880

English Heritage Legacy ID: 354080

Location: Blaisdon, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL17

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Blaisdon

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Blaisdon St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Longhope

Listing Text

SO 61 NE BLAISDON BLAISDON VILLAGE

6/12 Blaisdon Hall

II*

Formerly house, now School: 1876, 1907 (datestones), by Waller and
Son of Gloucester for Edwin Crawshay (glass in hall window). Of
rock-faced squared masonry, with ashlar dressings, moulded plinth
and string courses, slate roofs. Jacobean style; large square
house with central light well, 2 rear wings with courtyard between;
projecting entrance tower on return to right of garden front,
conservatory projecting from left return. House 2 storeys with
attics, rear wings 1 or 2 storeys. Main facade faces garden; 2
gabled wings with recessed centre, 5 windows wide in all. 2-
storeyed canted bays with pierced balustrades to wings, single-
storey semi-circular bay in centre. Mullioned and transomed
windows; pedimented hoods appear only in main gable. Gables have
finials to kneelers and apex: between are 3 ornate dormers.
Chimneys have panelled ashlar stalks with projecting cornice. On
the right return is the entrance tower, 4 storeys, with corner
pilasters to the top two, terminating in a pierced balustrade, and
a corner access turret. The datestones are over the third floor
windows, on each face. The porte-cochere projects to the right of
the tower, with semi-circular headed arches in rusticated masonry,
capped with a pierced balustrade, with urns at the corners and a
central cartouche on each face. The conservatory is on the left
return, three bays with a canted end, rusticated piers, stone
mullioned windows with circular tracery, and marginal lights to
glazing, above a strapwork cornice, and simple slate roof, but
originally with a clerestory. In 1907 extension windows similar to
original but gables simpler and moulded string courses replaced
with flush ashlar bands.
Interior: original moulded ceilings and beams survive in main rooms
and stairs, with ornate timber doorcases. Parquet floor in
contrasting woods in entrance hall and centre room on garden front,
and as margin in dining room. Ornate stone fireplace with original
iron grate and decorative glazed tiles in entrance hall. Unpainted
stone arches to first floor of staircase, containing windows on one
side. Original sliding doors between the main rooms facing garden,
far room containing stone fireplace surround with coloured marble
inserts: stone fireplace surround also in dining room. Internal
courtyard lined with white glazed brick: all windows opening onto
it have coloured or obsured glass. Original painted glass survives
in upper parts of main ground floor windows; original iron
casements and fasteners. Cast iron radiator covers with marble
lids in stairs and entrance. Estate purchased 1864 by H. Crawshay,
who built church (q.v.), Hall built by his son. Extension 1907 by
P. Stubbs, who purchased estate in 1890's. Sold to Salesian Order
in 1935 for a school (VCH, Gloucestershire, X, 1972, p.8; Ross
Gazette, 22.iv.1875.)


Listing NGR: SO6980416975

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.