This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.848 / 51°50'52"N
Longitude: -2.4341 / 2°26'2"W
OS Eastings: 370192
OS Northings: 216691
OS Grid: SO701166
Mapcode National: GBR FY.TQV7
Mapcode Global: VH86S.RTJ5
Plus Code: 9C3VRHX8+69
Entry Name: The Tanhouse
Listing Date: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186457
English Heritage Legacy ID: 354081
Location: Blaisdon, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL17
Civil Parish: Blaisdon
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Blaisdon St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 71 NW BLAISDON BLAISDON VILLAGE
7/13 The Tanhouse
House, C17, altered C18 and extended about 1920. Brick, in Flemish
bond with occasional English course, stone plinth, tiled roof.
Rubble stone base to chimney in gable, also side wall to rear wing
and back and side to 1920 extension. 2 storey, 2-room front, 'L'
plan. Late C18 brick front wall. Front door slightly off centre
to right, with projecting hood over, 2-light casement windows, one
each side per floor; eaves, cogged dentil course. Rear brick wall
to main house has plain string course, and elliptical-headed
windows with brick-on-end voussoirs. The two ground floor windows
reduced in size: one of the two first floor has 4-light ovolo-
moulded frame. Entrance direct to main room, with moulded axial
ceiling and wall beams; below centre beam jowl carved IHMI 1669:
beams may be of this date or possibly reused. Beams in room to
left and on first floor had pyramid stops terminating in a stylised
flower, on a large chamfer. Staircase in rear wing has heavy
moulded handrail with turned balusters: it has been reset. Wall
between main front and rear wing timber-framed, with lower wall
plate than present brick structure: top of corner post visible in
gable. Rear wing containing stairs rebuilt on two sides in mid C20
and later extended. J. Dowding, died 1896, who developed Blaisdon
Red Plum, lived here (VCH Gloucestershire X, 1972, p.6).
Listing NGR: SO7019216691
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings