This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.062 / 52°3'43"N
Longitude: -0.8078 / 0°48'28"W
OS Eastings: 481830
OS Northings: 241077
OS Grid: SP818410
Mapcode National: GBR CZV.LM7
Mapcode Global: VHDSZ.YF9L
Plus Code: 9C4X356R+RV
Entry Name: Church of St George the Martyr
Listing Date: 28 October 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125328
English Heritage Legacy ID: 45638
Location: Wolverton and Greenleys, Milton Keynes, MK12
County: Milton Keynes
Civil Parish: Wolverton and Greenleys
Built-Up Area: Milton Keynes
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wolverton St George the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
891/2/234 ST GEORGES WAY
Church of St George the Martyr
Anglican Church. 1843 by H. Wyatt and David Brandon in the Early English style with 1895 extension of double transepts, choir vestry and organ chamber by J. Oldrid Scott, and choir vestry and chancel extended by one bay in 1902 by also J. O. Scott. C20 alterations include large round west window of 1954 and re-ordering in 1975. Coursed, squared local limestone with red sandstone dressings of Hollington stone from Staffordshire, plain tile roofs, lead roof to vestry and slate-hung spire, originally covered with ribbed lead.
PLAN: Chancel, organ chamber to south side of chancel, vestry to north side, tower to northeast of nave and double transepts to north and south of nave, serving as aisles.
ELEVATIONS: West front has pointed arched doorway, a pair of lancet windows above and large rose window in gable inserted 1954 of ironstone from Hornton Warwickshire. Nave and transepts have lancet windows, those to transept ends paired and linked by one bay of blank arcade. Each transept gable has a circular sexfoiled window. 3-stage NE tower has doorway to north, with pointed arched head and one order of shafts, small trefoiled windows to middle stage above doorway and 2-light bellchamber openings with attached shafts bearing foliage capitals and Y tracery; corbel table and broach spire, slate-hung. Chancel has lancet windows to north and south sides and 5-light east window with small trefoiled circles to head and hood mould with carved head label stops. Vestry to north has pairs of windows with Caernarvon-arched heads. Former vestry to south side has blocked windows to south and east sides, the latter of two trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil to head. Link between former vestry and transept has 3-light window with trefoiled heads to lights. Offset angle buttresses to chancel, diagonal offset buttresses to transepts. Stone-coped gables throughout that to east end of nave terminating on north side in carved lion conchant on tower.
INTERIOR: Dressings of Farleigh Down Bath stone and arcade piers of Forest of Dean grey stone, with moulded caps and bases of Portland stone. West gallery on timber posts with clock to centre of gallery front. Nave roof has prominent tie beam trusses. Rood screen of carved oak completed 1922 by J. O. Scott. Mosaic panels in west wall of chancel, mid-C19, re-set from former reredos. Stained glass windows by Powells of Whitefriars and in side windows of chancel earlier C19 stained glass from original east window.
Listing NGR: SP8183041080
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings