This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0646 / 52°3'52"N
Longitude: -0.8047 / 0°48'16"W
OS Eastings: 482036
OS Northings: 241367
OS Grid: SP820413
Mapcode National: GBR CZV.FCR
Mapcode Global: VHDT0.0CFM
Plus Code: 9C4X357W+R4
Entry Name: Former Reading Room for Wolverton Railway Works
Listing Date: 6 February 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390779
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491609
Location: Wolverton and Greenleys, Milton Keynes, MK12
County: Milton Keynes
Civil Parish: Wolverton and Greenleys
Built-Up Area: Milton Keynes
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wolverton St George the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
891/0/10003 STRATFORD ROAD
Former Reading Room for Wolverton Rail
Former Reading Room, for the London and Birmingham Railway, empty at the time of inspection (2003). 1839 with minor C20 alterations. Red brick in English Bond. with some stone dressings. Hipped slate roof with roof lights and ridge ventilators. Restrained Classical style.
EXTERIOR: Long east elevation to Canal has 6 first floor windows with some of those to ground floor blocked by a lower addition; slightly lower single bay to rear. West elevation faces the 1846 former locomotive shed (q.v.), to which it is attached with later in-fill structures. Windows have steel frames with 12 lights, under stone lintels with keyblocks.
INTERIOR: Not inspected
HISTORY: Built in 1839 as a reading room for the London and Birmingham Railway at the Wolverton Works, which had opened the previous year. The first buildings constructed were a passenger station, workshop, gas works, and five rows of houses; the reading room was one of several buildings constructed immediately afterwards to serve the social and spiritual needs of the railway employees. As a library and reading room it had 700 books and numerous periodicals; the building also served as a Wesleyan Chapel before the Chapel was built, and fulfilled several light industrial uses in the later C19 and early C20.
SOURCES: West, Bill. The Trainmakers: The Story of Wolverton Works. Barracuda Books, 1982.
Head, F.B. Stokers and Pokers; or the London and North Western Railway, 1849.
The 1839 brick former Reading Room is listed as an early and interesting example of social provision within a large scale works that has strong group value, and that survives relatively unaltered as an historically important component of the nationally important Wolverton Railway Works.
Group value with the other listed railway buildings at Wolverton, particularly the adjacent Former Railway Works Building (q.v.)
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings