History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parsonage Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Burwell, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2751 / 52°16'30"N

Longitude: 0.3212 / 0°19'16"E

OS Eastings: 558464

OS Northings: 266645

OS Grid: TL584666

Mapcode National: GBR N9F.B0T

Mapcode Global: VHHK0.J25Q

Entry Name: Parsonage Farmhouse

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Last Amended: 31 January 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1126402

English Heritage Legacy ID: 48954

Location: Burwell, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB25

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Burwell

Built-Up Area: Burwell

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Burwell with Reach

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Burwell

Listing Text

TL 5866 BURWELL LOW ROAD
(West Side)

15/27 No 128 (Parson-
1.12.51 age Farmhouse)
(formerly listed as
Parsonage Farmhouse, barn
GV and outbuildings)
II

Farmhouse with parlour wing to east of tower-house proportions
with attached late medieval barn partly derelict to west. Three
building periods; late C16 farmhouse includes the end bay and
gable wall of the earlier barn and possibly other medieval
fragments in the strange alignment of the parlour wing and
service rooms; enclosure of area to east of stair turret and
service rooms early to mid C17. Alterations in C18 include a
passage built through the chimney stack at ground floor and a
staircase in the hall. Painted clunch. Modern interlocking
roof tiles, tall C19 gault brick ridge stack, brick dressings.
Two storeys and attics, cross-wing three storeys with double
parapetted facade gables facing south. Main range has one first
floor three-light casement window, and two twelve-paned hung
sash windows with one sealed, chamfered-mullioned window. One
ground floor three-light casement window and two sixteen-paned
hung sash windows to left hand of round-arched doorway. Parlour
wing of two 'bays' has two, three-light casement attic windows,
one first floor twelve-paned hung sash window and two sixteen-
paned, hung sash ground floor windows. Interior details
contemporary with late C16 and early C17 include a balustered
screen in passage to rear of parlour. The fabric of the barn
walls survive in part and the trusses below tie beam level (see
RCHM measured drawing). The quality of the barn suggests a
public use such as a trading hall associated with some local
industry. It was in the possession of Ramsey Abbey till the
Dissolution in 1537.

Sayer W. Notes of Burwell Church
Lucas C. The Fenman's World, p.97, 1928
RCHM, North-East Cambs, p.32, mon. 40
Pevsner. Buildings of England, p.312


Listing NGR: TL5846466645

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.