History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Outbuilding to Number 128 (Parsonage Farmhouse)

A Grade II Listed Building in Burwell, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2751 / 52°16'30"N

Longitude: 0.322 / 0°19'19"E

OS Eastings: 558516

OS Northings: 266649

OS Grid: TL585666

Mapcode National: GBR N9F.B7C

Mapcode Global: VHHK0.J2LP

Entry Name: Outbuilding to Number 128 (Parsonage Farmhouse)

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Last Amended: 31 January 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161038

English Heritage Legacy ID: 48955

Location: Burwell, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB25

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Burwell

Built-Up Area: Burwell

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Burwell with Reach

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Burwell

Listing Text

TL 5866 BURWELL LOW ROAD
(West Side)

15/28 Outbuilding to
No 128 (Parson-
1.12.51 age Farmhouse)
(formerly listed as
GV outbuildings to
Parsonage Farmhouse)
II
Outbuilding, early C16, with C19 alterations and internal
staircase. C20 roof replaces original crown-post roof. Timber
frame with later brick nogging of four bays, jettied to north.
Ground floor rubble clunch wall to south possibly an earlier
boundary wall. East gable wall of clunch contemporary, west
gable wall of brick replaces original timber frame. Roof with
re-used plain tiles. Two storeys. North elevation has four,
first floor three-light diamond mullion windows with others
sealed or altered originally forming an almost complete row of
windows without shutters (similar windows to south). One ground
floor three-light diamond mullion window survives with modern
doorways to garage and workshops. Three original ground floor
rooms have partitions and axial floor beams with evidence for
their original openings. Jetty bressumer moulded with some
brackets in situ; slightly splayed edge-halved scarf-joints to
wall plates. Three cambered tie beams with mortices for crown
posts. The well-lit upper hall, possibly approached by an
external gable stair, may have been a weaving gallery, and the
ground floor rooms had some associated use. The ranges to the
east, of clunch, have partly been rebuilt and re-roofed
recently. Some C14 moulded clunch in east gable wall may be
surviving fragments from the buildings of St John's Priory.

RCHM, North-East Cambs, p.34, mon. 40
Lucas C. The Fenman's Works, p.97, 1930
Alderton and Booker. Batsford Guide Indust. Arch. of E. Anglia,
p.39, 1980


Listing NGR: TL5851666649

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.