History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Mary's Vicarage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ely, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3987 / 52°23'55"N

Longitude: 0.2593 / 0°15'33"E

OS Eastings: 553809

OS Northings: 280260

OS Grid: TL538802

Mapcode National: GBR M6H.LC0

Mapcode Global: VHHJ6.FZX0

Entry Name: St Mary's Vicarage

Listing Date: 23 September 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1126467

English Heritage Legacy ID: 48811

Location: Ely, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Ely

Built-Up Area: Ely

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Ely

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Ely

Listing Text

1. ST MARY'S STREET
1082
(South Side)
No 29
TL 5379 2/40 (St Mary's vicarage)
23.9.50. Vicarage) -
II* GV
2.


Mainly a Cl6 timber-framed and plastered house with exposed timber framing
on the front block. A brick and stone wing extends to the south at the
rear. It has some traces of earlier work including stone arches of circa
1380. 2 storeys. 5 window range on the north front and 1 window range
on the east end. 3-light mullioned and transomed windows with C20 casements
with leaded lights. The ground storey was built out in the C18 and the
windows are C20, with leaded lights. The doorway has a C18 doorcase
with moulded architraves and a flat hood on shaped brackets. A plaque
on the front states : "Cromwell House,the residence of Oliver Cromwell
from 1636-1647 when collector of Ely Tithes. Roof tiled with a tall
C17 brick chimney stack at the rear. The interior has Cl6 panelling and
a stone winder staircase with central newel circa 1450 (now wood covered),
A Cl6 fireplace and the remains of a gallery with an original C15 window.

Nos 13 to 29 (odd) and 29A, Parson's Almshouses form a group with Nos 20,
22. 22A, Nos 24 to 30 (even), Nos 34, 36, 36A, 38, Nos 40 to 60 (even),
No 20 Church Lane and Parish Church of St Mary.
Also Nos 13 o 29 (odd) 29A Parson's Almshouses & Nos 20, 22, 22A, Nos 24 to 30
(even), Nos 34, 36, 36A, 38 & Nos 40 to 60 (even) form a group with Nos 1 to 5
Downham Road.


Listing NGR: TL5380980260

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.