This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2509 / 52°15'3"N
Longitude: 0.2959 / 0°17'45"E
OS Eastings: 556822
OS Northings: 263899
OS Grid: TL568638
Mapcode National: GBR M88.X6W
Mapcode Global: VHHK0.2PS9
Plus Code: 9F42772W+99
Entry Name: Church of St Cyriac and Julitta
Listing Date: 19 August 1959
Last Amended: 15 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127041
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49400
Location: Swaffham Prior, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB25
Civil Parish: Swaffham Prior
Built-Up Area: Swaffham Prior
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Swaffham Prior St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/09/2014
HIGH STREET (East Side),
Church of St Cyriac and Julitta
(Formerly listed as Church of St Cyriac)
Former parish church of C15 West tower, with early C19 nave, chancel, transepts. Except for the C15 West tower, the whole of the church was rebuilt c1805 to a design by Charles Humfrey of Cambridge. The church is now in the care of The Churches Conservation Trust. West tower, c1500, of rubble, clunch, flint with some limestone dressings to quoins, and door and window openings. In three stages, the ground and first stages being square but the bell stage is octagonal. The tower has a moulded plinth and a friezes of red brick and stone in chequer board pattern. There is a parapet with flushwork. The ground and first stage have two-stage buttressing, set diagonally and a newel staircase in the North East angle. The West doorway is of clunch in a two centred arch with a moulded label of limestone. Above, the West window has three cinquefoil lights with a transome in a four centred head. Each angle of the bell stage has a two stage pilaster buttress carried on a corbel carved with mask and other ornament. The bell stage has triangular weathering at its base. The bell chamber openings are of two cinquefoil lights in four centred heads. The rest of the church was rebuilt c1805 in gault brick with stone dressings to door and window openings. It is in Gothic style. The roof is slate and has an embattled parapet. There are diagonal buttresses. The nave is aisled and in three bays, and there are North and South transepts and a small chancel. It has a gallery at the West end. The parish was amalgamated with St Mary's in 1667.
R.C.H.M. (North East Cambs.), p119, mon (2) Pevsner: Buildings of England, p467
Listing NGR: TL5682263899
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings