History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House and Attached Garden Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Walton-in-Gordano, North Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.455 / 51°27'18"N

Longitude: -2.83 / 2°49'48"W

OS Eastings: 342422

OS Northings: 173220

OS Grid: ST424732

Mapcode National: GBR JD.MJV8

Mapcode Global: VH7C1.WPQF

Entry Name: The Manor House and Attached Garden Wall

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Last Amended: 20 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129136

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33789

Location: Walton-in-Gordano, North Somerset, BS21

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Walton-in-Gordano

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Clevedon

Listing Text

WALTON-IN-GORDANO C.P. WALTON STREET (south west side)
ST 47 SW
3/126 The Manor House and attached garden
wall
13.10.52 (Formerly listed as Manor House)
G.V. II
House. c.1700, with rear wing and extended to left c.1780, C19 and C20
alterations. Sandstone rubble, limestone dressings, rendered except for front
and right return of main range, slate roofs, main range has ridge and gable
stacks. Originally 3-room plan, L-plan formed by rear wing. 2 1/2 storeys and
8 windows, all 2-light casements with Gothic leaded octagonal cames and decorative
catches (C20 replacements) with large stone lintels, lintel string over ground
floor windows, C20 limestone Doric porch with modillion cornice, parapet and
blocking course, parapet and cornice, heavy quoins up to first floor level
indicating C18 alterations, 3 hipped dormers, each with 2-light casement and
similar glazing; attached to left and right with straight joint, a lower 2-storey
addition with hipped roof behind parapet and coping, to right has similar large
2-light casement, to left rendered with 3-light C20 casement at ground and first
floor; rubble garden wall attached to front left about 3 metres high and
15 metres long, with segmental-headed opening (screening former domestic buildings,
now demolished). Attached to left, 2-storey C18 wing with hipped roof,
3 windows, all C20 2-light casements, 3-light at ground floor left, glazed door
to right. Left return of wing has 2 sashes at ground floor and sash with
pointed arch under eaves; further 2-storey addition to left also has hipped roof
behind parapet and coping, 8-pane sash at ground floor and plate-glass sash at
first floor. At right return, gable end of main range shows line of roof-
raising, oriel at first floor in addition with sash to front and 8-pane sash to
each side; further addition built around corner of main range with 2-light
casement at upper ground floor and C19 cross window, 2 lean-to's to right with
4-pane light; 2 storey rear wing has sash in exposed box off-centre at first
floor and large external stack to right. Rear of main range formerly had single
storey addition, raised 1969 for first floor corridor; including addition to
right, rear has 7 windows, all sashes, some of C20, ground floor 3rd from left
has C20 bay window and two 9-pane sashes to left of bay; set in angle to rear
wing a taller 2-storey block with 1/2-glazed door with Gothic glazing bars and sash
above. Inner side of rear wing has 4 windows, all sashes in exposed boxes, 2nd
from left has C20 French window, cornice, parapet and coping; rear of wing has
blind window at first floor. Interior: central room now entrance hall, has
fireplace with eared shell and dart surround, recess to each side with cupboard
with shaped shelves, one a C20 copy, boxed beams, ceiling height of central room
and room to right raised. Central room leads to rear C18 staircase hall, open-
well stair with twisted balusters. Roof over main range probably of C18
incorporating earlier timbers, one truss probably re-set with principal rafters
and collar, one row of purlins. (Sources: drawing of Sir John Durbin's house
in Walton, 1788, by S.H. Grimm, British Museum, shows earlier porch with
pediment).


Listing NGR: ST4242273220

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.