This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4543 / 51°27'15"N
Longitude: -2.8287 / 2°49'43"W
OS Eastings: 342515
OS Northings: 173137
OS Grid: ST425731
Mapcode National: GBR JD.MR5P
Mapcode Global: VH7C1.XQF0
Plus Code: 9C3VF53C+PG
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 20 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137137
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33788
Location: Walton-in-Gordano, North Somerset, BS21
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Walton-in-Gordano
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
WALTON-IN-GORDANO C.P. WALTON STREET (south west side)
ST 47 SW
3/125 Church of St. Paul
Parish church. 1839 on site of possibly earlier secular building. Rubble,
snecked in chancel, limestone dressings, squared freestone porch, slate roofs
with raised coped verges and cross finials. North west tower, nave, north
porch, chancel with north and south transepts. Early English style. 3-stage
tower, stepped at each stage, has trefoil-headed lancet at first and 2nd stage
west, 3rd stage has similar openings with bell-louvres, to south a smaller lancet
at 2nd and 3rd stage, to north 2nd stage lancet and 3rd stage clock dated 1897,
saddleback roof with gable ends east and west, plinth. 2-bay nave has 2 north
lancets with hood mould, south has lancet and paired lancet in flat stone
surround with quatrefoil above, tall paired lancet to west with circle above and
quatrefoil in gable end. Gabled porch at west end of nave has pointed arched
opening in hollow chamfered surround, quatrefoil above, possibly re-used earlier
stonework, stone benches to sides and pointed arched inner door, surround of
2 convex-moulded orders with broach stops; brattished wall-plate, principal
rafters and ridge purlin; double door with raised fillets and strap hinges,
possibly re-used. Chancel has 3 lancets to east, central one taller, in plain
surrounds and quatrefoil in gable; north and south transepts have widened lancet
with hood mould and stops in gable end, small lean-to to side of north transept.
Interior: nave has 5-bay roof, principal rafters, cambered collars, 2 rows of
purlins; 2-light south window and east window possibly later with chamfered
rere-arches, chamfered pointed arched door to tower; chancel arch formed by rib
of ceiling supported on wooden shafts to sides, wagon roof to chancel of 9 bays,
with moulded and painted ribs and ridge purlin, 3 similar bays over each transept
and moulded wall-plate; east wall has cill string and string at imposts of
lancets, trefoil-headed piscina to south. South transept used as vestry, north
transept as organ chamber. Fittings: C19 pews and pulpit; stone font in nave,
octagonal, on octagonal stem with 4 stops to base, possibly resited. Stained
glass in nave windows, dated 1873 to south and 1870 to north, similar glass in
east lancets, possibly by the Rev. Rawden Hautenville, rector from 1866-80.
(Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958.
Collinson, J. : History and Antiquities of The County of Somerset vol. III 1791
records a church on this site C18).
Listing NGR: ST4251573137
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings