This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5645 / 50°33'52"N
Longitude: -4.7901 / 4°47'24"W
OS Eastings: 202497
OS Northings: 77579
OS Grid: SX024775
Mapcode National: GBR ZW.VK40
Mapcode Global: FRA 07VK.X89
Entry Name: Disused Farmhouse in Lanow Farmyard
Listing Date: 26 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129865
English Heritage Legacy ID: 351504
Location: St. Kew, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: St. Kew
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Kew
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 08 SW ST KEW
2/244 Disused farmhouse in Lanow
House now disused. Circa late C16 or early C17. Stone rubble and cob, built on bed
rock. Scantle slate roof with gable ends and shafts of chimney stacks removed.
Two room and through passage plan. There is no visible evidence of a fireplace in
the lower left hand room suggesting that either the fireplace has been blocked or
removed, or probably less likely that the room was unheated. The hall on the right
was heated by a projecting front lateral stack and the chamber above the hall was
heated by a gable end stack. Remains of stone newel stair in rear projection
adjoining higher side of rear entrance.
Two storeys, regular four window front with several straight joints indicating
partial rebuilding. Some cob infil has been exposed above the ground floor on the
left where the outer skin of masonry has deteriorated. The left hand gable end has
been partly rebuilt. The right hand side is set slightly forward incorporating the
projection of the stone rubble front lateral hall stack whose shaft has been removed.
The entrance is to right of centre with a granite four-centred arch with chamfer and
pyramid stops. Ground floor window openings with fenestration removed and door
inserted in window opening to left. First floor with four window openings, two with
Rear elevation has stair projection with adjoining external flight of stone rubble
steps. Lean-to outshut to rear of right hand room.
Interior: Internal partitions removed and floor jolsts and ceiling above left hand
room replaced in circa early C20. Right hand room with chamfered ceiling beams with
hollow stepped stops. Large hall fireplace with chamfered granite lintel and pyramid
stops. Remains of stone newel stair in hall adjoining higher side of rear entrance.
First floor fireplace in right hand gable end with unmoulded timber lintel supported
on possibly renewed, unmoulded timber corbelled brackets. Masonry above lintel set
forward. Remains of stone newel stairs in rear stair turret. Circa mid C17 roof
structure of 9 bays comprising principals with slightly curved feet and morticed
apices; cambered collars halved, lap-jointed and pegged onto face of principals and
The manor of Lanow was formerly held by the Beavilles and then Grenvills. Sold by
Sir Bevill Grenvil to William Noye, Attorney-General to Charles I.
Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor
in the County of Cornwall, 1879
Polsve, J Lake's Parochial History of the Count of Cornwall,
1867-73 rp 1974
Listing NGR: SX0249777579
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings