History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boiler-And-Pump Houses and Hydraulic Accumulator Tower

A Grade II Listed Building in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.2879 / 53°17'16"N

Longitude: -2.8928 / 2°53'34"W

OS Eastings: 340578

OS Northings: 377145

OS Grid: SJ405771

Mapcode National: GBR 8Z7F.H2

Mapcode Global: WH87V.JMP8

Entry Name: Boiler-And-Pump Houses and Hydraulic Accumulator Tower

Listing Date: 26 November 1975

Last Amended: 17 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130338

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56277

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH65

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Rossmore

Built-Up Area: Ellesmere Port

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Ellesmere Port Team

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Ellesmere Port

Listing Text

SJ 4077
7/17 Boiler-and-Pump Houses
and Hydraulic Accumulator
26.11.75 Tower (formerly listed as
as Ellesmere Port Dock -
Pump House)
1876, extended and altered. Parallel joined boiler and pump houses which
supplied hydraulic power, first to warehouse and docks machinery, and from 1910
to an adjoining flour mill. RECTANGULAR BOILER HOUSE of brown brick with pro-
jecting blue brick plinth, corner piers and parapet gables with stone copings,
shaped finials and kneelers. Three semi-circular window openings and camber
arched doorway on south east side. Tapering steel-banded octagonal chimney
with boldly coved projecting cap, free-standing at south west end of boiler
house. Two Lancashire boilers. RECTANGULAR PUMP HOUSE on north west side
of boiler house, taller and of same materials and similar detailing to boiler
house, but with raised iron floor. Flight of stone steps lead to framed and
boarded entrance door; north east tall paired round-arched small-pane iron
windows in south west gable. Tall extension at west corner built in 1910 to
house pumps to serve adjoining (now demolished) flour mill. The pump house
was for two horizontal duplex pumps, 1876, by Sir W G Armstrong & Co (one
restored) and two later vertical pump engines, the larger a twin tandem com-
pound of 1910 by Peam of Manchester. SQUARE ACCUMULATOR TOWER with massive
timber corner-posts, weatherboarded sides and slate pyramid roof adjoins north
west side of pump house. The tower contains a vertical weighted hydraulic ram,
16.875 inches diameter x 12'0" stroke bearing approx 70 tons of pig-iron in
a cylindrical container to provide 750 lbs/square inch pressure.

Listing NGR: SJ4057877145

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.