This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7151 / 53°42'54"N
Longitude: -1.8831 / 1°52'59"W
OS Eastings: 407812
OS Northings: 424303
OS Grid: SE078243
Mapcode National: GBR HT9G.3Z
Mapcode Global: WHC9M.1WK9
Entry Name: Steeple of Former Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 23 November 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133885
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338740
Location: Calderdale, HX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Halifax
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: King Cross St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
338740 KING CROSS ROAD
Steeple of former Church of St Paul
23 November 1973 Grade II
1847 by Chantrell. Stone, Gothic tower with clock stage, belfry and broach spire. Former abutment of church to east made good. Churchyard now a public garden. Included as local feature.
Church tower with spire of 1847 by R D Chantrell in stone. The church was described as Gothic in style, and the surviving tower, of stone, is square in plan with stepped angle buttresses, in three stages defined by string courses. The second stage has a clock on the south elevation, and all four sides have triple lancet lights of which the outer two are blind and the inner louvred. Above is a tall broach spire with lucarnes. The east elevation, formerly leading into the church, has the outline of the former nave visible, with a narrow lancet window at first floor level and an arched doorway below.
It is set in garden grounds, formerly a burial ground.
HISTORY: The former church of St Paul at King Cross, Halifax, was built in 1846-7, to serve the growing population of this part of the town to the west of the centre. It was designed by R D Chantrell, a well known architect who designed a number of Commissioners' churches in Yorkshire including Christ Church, Craven (listed Grade II*), and rebuilt the parish church of St Peter in Leeds (listed Grade I). It cost £3330 with an additional £1300 for furnishings and fees.
The church continued in use until the early-C20, when further increases in the population made the building inadequate for requirements, and a new St Paul's was built nearby on Queen's Road and opened in 1912. In 1931 much of the old church was demolished after a partial roof collapse, leaving the spire and graveyard. The burial ground continued in use until 1970 when it was converted to a rest garden in the care of the local authority. The tower and spire were listed at Grade II in 1973.
Reasons for designation
The steeple of the former church of St Paul, King Cross, Halifax, built in 1846-7 and designed by Chantrell is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architecture: it is a good example of a mid-C19 Commissioners Church, designed by a well known architect, forming a prominent landmark in the area
* Historic interest: the construction of the church and its subsequent replacement by a larger church, leaving only the steeple standing, charts the development of Halifax through the C19 and early-C20
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings