History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Allangate

A Grade II Listed Building in Halifax, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7152 / 53°42'54"N

Longitude: -1.8897 / 1°53'22"W

OS Eastings: 407379

OS Northings: 424309

OS Grid: SE073243

Mapcode National: GBR HT7G.PY

Mapcode Global: WHB8G.YWB8

Entry Name: Allangate

Listing Date: 14 December 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244083

English Heritage Legacy ID: 447647

Location: Calderdale, HX2

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Sowerby Bridge

Built-Up Area: Halifax

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: King Cross St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Sowerby Bridge

Listing Text

HALIFAX ROCHDALE ROAD
SE 02 SE
(north side)
679-/7/10017 Allangate
Nos 118, and 120
GV II

Part of former Mansion, now subdivided. Centre block (no.118 and nos
114, 116 q.v.) - original house built by Bernard Hartley c1810; West
Wing (no.120 q.v.) added c1845; additions c1870 for Thomas Shaw (MP
for Halifax 1882 to 1893) who commissioned Christopher Dresser to
remodel and decorate the interior between 1870 and 1873. Thin coursed
stone with ashlar dressings, blue-slate roof. 2 and 3 storeys and
basements. Italianate in style. From the left: No. 120 - entrance-
door in narrow link, set back, under verandah with glazed roof; small
arched window above. West Wing (part of no. 120) breaks forward:
quoins, single bay of windows with altered glazing. 3-light window
to basement/cellar. Ashlar frieze, stone cornice-gutter carried
around hipped roof. No.118 - doorway to right of window, covered by
modern conservatory, in 2-bay link with twin arched windows. Attached
to right, left-hand bay of original house set forward: has tripartite
window set in recessed segmental-arch with single light above, both
with altered glazing. Hipped roof with tall stack onto left-hand
return of original house. Contained part of original Dining Room with
the Dressing Room of the Principal Bedroom above. The left-hand end
of the range is reported to contain the Butler's Pantry and the
original Kitchen with the bells for the various rooms. The first
floor of the West Wing may have been the location of the Billiard
Room, described as a 'large and airy apartment handsomely appointed,
with walls of aesthetic green and chocolate tints' (Castles & County
Houses in Yorkshire, 1885). Interior not inspected.


Listing NGR: SE0737924309

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

HALIFAX ROCHDALE ROAD
SE 02 SE
(north side)
679-/7/10017 Allangate
Nos 118, and 120
GV II

Part of former Mansion, now subdivided. Centre block (no.118 and nos
114, 116 q.v.) - original house built by Bernard Hartley c1810; West
Wing (no.120 q.v.) added c1845; additions c1870 for Thomas Shaw (MP
for Halifax 1882 to 1893) who commissioned Christopher Dresser to
remodel and decorate the interior between 1870 and 1873. Thin coursed
stone with ashlar dressings, blue-slate roof. 2 and 3 storeys and
basements. Italianate in style. From the left: No. 120 - entrance-
door in narrow link, set back, under verandah with glazed roof; small
arched window above. West Wing (part of no. 120) breaks forward:
quoins, single bay of windows with altered glazing. 3-light window
to basement/cellar. Ashlar frieze, stone cornice-gutter carried
around hipped roof. No.118 - doorway to right of window, covered by
modern conservatory, in 2-bay link with twin arched windows. Attached
to right, left-hand bay of original house set forward: has tripartite
window set in recessed segmental-arch with single light above, both
with altered glazing. Hipped roof with tall stack onto left-hand
return of original house. Contained part of original Dining Room with
the Dressing Room of the Principal Bedroom above. The left-hand end
of the range is reported to contain the Butler's Pantry and the
original Kitchen with the bells for the various rooms. The first
floor of the West Wing may have been the location of the Billiard
Room, described as a 'large and airy apartment handsomely appointed,
with walls of aesthetic green and chocolate tints' (Castles & County
Houses in Yorkshire, 1885). Interior not inspected.


Listing NGR: SE0737924309

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.