History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Elland, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6805 / 53°40'49"N

Longitude: -1.8387 / 1°50'19"W

OS Eastings: 410750

OS Northings: 420462

OS Grid: SE107204

Mapcode National: GBR HTLW.QC

Mapcode Global: WHC9T.QRM9

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 6 June 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133954

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338521

Location: Calderdale, HX5

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Elland

Built-Up Area: Elland

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Elland All Saints,

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Greetland

Listing Text

In the entry for
ELLAND
SE 107204
SAVILE ROAD
2/97 Church of All Saints

II

The Grade shall be amended to read II * ( star)

------------------------------------

ELLAND SAVILE ROAD
SE 107204
2/97 Church of All Saints

II

Church, 1896, by G. H. Fellowes Prynne. Hammer-dressed stone with tiled roof. Tall
nave and chancel under continuous roof with low leanto aisles, western baptistry and
gabled transeptal chapels the northern of which is apsed. Wooden fleche with copper
spire. Gothic revival with mostly lancet windows. The west front has 3 tall lancets
separated and flanked by gabled buttresses. The transeptal chapels have small rose
windows in their western gables, and triple lancets in the flank walls. The southern
chapel has a stair turret. The baptistry also is embattled. Foundation stone dated
1900 at east end.

Interior: of stone and brick. 5-bay nave. Tunnel roof with transverse ribs carried
on engaged colonnettes. Tall chancel arch whose jambs are flanked by 4 large
polychrome figures of saints on each side. Chancel of 2-bays similarly roofed. The
nave arcades carry across the transeptal chapels. The north chapel has a small 2-bay
sanctuary.

Furnishings: chancel screen of stone with cresting and gates of wrought iron and
beaten copper. Elaborate late Gothic reredos (c.1920). Stained glass east window
of the same period showing the Church Triumphant. Elaborately carved wooden pulpit
of quatrefoil plan standing on openwork base. Fine carved C17 altar table from
St. Mary's Church. C. N. Frank, 'Fitly Framed Together', (1949). N. Pevsner,
'Yorkshire West Riding' (1979) p.624.


Listing NGR: SE1075020462

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.