This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7096 / 53°42'34"N
Longitude: -1.9032 / 1°54'11"W
OS Eastings: 406488
OS Northings: 423687
OS Grid: SE064236
Mapcode National: GBR HT4J.RY
Mapcode Global: WHB8N.Q1X0
Entry Name: The Salt Warehouse
Listing Date: 17 October 1975
Last Amended: 19 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134472
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339343
Location: Calderdale, HX6
Electoral Ward/Division: Sowerby Bridge
Built-Up Area: Halifax
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sowerby Bridge Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SOWERBY BRIDGE SOWERBY BRIDGE CANAL BASIN
13/215 The Salt Warehouse (formerly
17.10.75 listed as Central Warehouse
(No 3), Bolton Brow)
Canal warehouse. Probably 1796. For the Calder and Hebble Navigation Company.
Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings, unroofed and being rebuilt at time
of resurvey (October 1985). 3 storeys, 2 upstanding at time of resurvey. 6 bays.
West front: 3 left bays: each bay has a 2-storey elliptical archway with rounded
corners. The 2 left arches giving access to wet docks, the 3rd a through way.
3 right bays: wide central loading door to each floor flanked by 3-light windows
(ground-floor left window now of 2 lights). Former list description records 3-light
windows over archways and hipped slate roof as front. Interior: on ground floor
of right hand bays large scantling chamfered timber posts support cross-beams.
The through-archway has stone cross walls with a doorway to each side, that on right
with panelled double door. The left hand bay still has wet dock; the other former
wet dock is now flagged and in the floor of this bay is a large stone with socket
for a wooden crane which survives leaning against a toilet block to rear. Occupied
by Richard Milnes, the first large scale Trans-Penning carrier, until his last
failure in 1799 when it was let to the Rochdale canal Company (Sowerby Bridge, p23).
The 1793 Rochdale Canal Act instructed the Calder and Hebble Navigation Company
to build at Sowerby Bridge whatever wharves and warehouses the Rochdale Company
wanted, the latter to pay for the space they used (Hadfield, p 60). A contract
in 1796 to build a new warehouse is attributed to this building (Sowerby Bridge,
C Hadfield, Canals of Yorkshire and North-East England (1972).
Sowerby Bridge, Chamber of Trade and Commerce Official Guide RCHM(E) report.
Listing NGR: SE0648823687
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings