This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7019 / 53°42'6"N
Longitude: -1.8991 / 1°53'56"W
OS Eastings: 406759
OS Northings: 422838
OS Grid: SE067228
Mapcode National: GBR HT5M.NP
Mapcode Global: WHB8N.S6VV
Entry Name: Fallingworth Hall and Fallingworth Hall Cottage
Listing Date: 15 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134491
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339288
Location: Calderdale, HX6
Electoral Ward/Division: Greetland and Stainland
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Norland
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SOWERBY BRIDGE NORLAND TOWN ROAD
(north side) , Norland
Fallingworth Hall and
House, now two. Early-mid C17, porch added 1642, late C18 - early C19 and C19
alterations. Coursed squared stone, stone slate roof. Lobby-entry 3-cell plan.
2 storeys, 3 bays (4 1st-floor windows) with 2-storey porch between bays 2 and
3 and 3-storey rear range to bays 1 and 2. Chamfered plinth; double-chamfered
mullion-and-transom windows; string. From left: bay 1: a 6-light window with king
mullion to left of doorway, probably C19, with reset Tudor-arched lintel dated
'I/MB/M 1616/H' (Michael and Isabel Barrow) and flanked by decorative stops.
On 1st floor, windows of 6-lights with king mullion and 2 lights. Bay 2: a 2 + 4
light window to each floor. To bays 1 and 2 a continuous 1st-floor dripmould with
decorative stop to left. Porch: moulded Tudor-arched doorway dated '16 AD 42',
1st-floor 2-light window with dripmould flanked by rainwater spouts; parapet gabled
over window with moulded coping and finials (as at Lower Old Hall (q.v)); 1st-floor
oculus in each return; inside, stone benches and chamfered quoined Tudor-arched
inner doorway. Bay 3: 7-light window without transom; above, a 6-light window
under decorative-stopped hoodmould. Chamfered gutter brackets throughout; kneelers
and coping to right end; 2 ridge stacks. Rear: rear range heightened late C18
early C19 (probably for loom shop) has quoins; a doorway to right of added outshut
which masks most of ground floor; on 1st floor a 2-light double-chamfered window
(mullion removed) to left and a 2-light chamfered window to right: a blocked 2-light
flat-faced mullion window to 2nd floor; the right end returns at an acute angle
and has a 3-light, now 2-light, chamfered mullion window and a blind archway on
2nd floor. Left return: main house; plinth and string returned from front. Rear
range: a 4-light double-chamfered mullion window to lst floor; on 2nd floor a
blocked taking-in door to left and a blocked 2-Tight flat-faced mullion window
to right; in gable a blocked square light and ledge. Interior: central house-body
has moulded shallow-Tudor-arched fireplace with elaborate stops and sunk spandrels;
stop-chamfered spine-beams; joists with incised lines. Right-hand room in rear
range (now garage) has chamfered Tudor-arched fireplace on rear wall. 1st floor:
central room has basket-arched fireplace with broad stopped-chamfer and is open
to porch room which has stone flags under present floor covering. Resued purlins,
rafters and ridge-piece. The reused dated lintel comes from Fields, now demolished
(Kendall p133 )
T F Ford, 'Some buildings of the 17th Century in tile parish of Halifax', Thoresby
Society Publications, Vol XXVIII.
H P Kendall, 'Fields in Norland', Halifax Antiquarian Society, Vol 10,1913,
pp133-139. RCHM(E) Report (31455).
Listing NGR: SE0675922838
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings