This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7036 / 53°42'13"N
Longitude: -1.8922 / 1°53'31"W
OS Eastings: 407213
OS Northings: 423028
OS Grid: SE072230
Mapcode National: GBR HT7M.42
Mapcode Global: WHB8N.X54K
Plus Code: 9C5WP435+F4
Entry Name: Upper Wat Ing
Listing Date: 15 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184456
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339253
Location: Greetland and Stainland, Calderdale, HX6
Electoral Ward/Division: Greetland and Stainland
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Norland
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20 May 2021 to reformat the text to current standards
LONDON ROAD (east side, off)
Upper Wat Ing
House. Dated 1638 and 1668 with earlier origins; C19 and C20 alterations. Coursed squared stone, stone slate roof. RCHM report suggests a timber-framed hall and crosswing of c.1500 has had lower end rebuilt 1638 and stone encasement and west wing added 1668. Through passage.
North (entrance) front: two storeys, three bays, all formerly gabled, left bay rebuilt after fire, single-pitched and projecting. It has single-storey pent-roofed projection to front and gutter spout in angle with central bay. Central bay: ground floor masked by C20 single-storey addition; on first floor a three-over five-light double-chamfered mullion window under dripmould with blind arched light to left. Right bay: a one-light and two-light window with two-light window above, all with chamfered mullions. Gables have shaped kneelers, coping and finials. Large stack to ridge of left bay; another between central and right bays.
Rear: three gabled bays. Right bay projects slightly and has plinth; formerly a door to left; a three-light double-chamfered mullion window with king mullion and hoodmould to ground floor and, above it, a similar window without king mullion and with roundel stops and date '16' '38' to hoodmould. Central bay: door to left and above it a reset bi-cusped lintel dated '1668 (George Towne); on each floor a two-light flat-faced mullion window, first floor GT
1842' window having decoratively-stopped hoodmould. Left bay: a two-light window on each floor, first floor window having hoodmould with terminals dated '18' '64'. Shaped kneelers, coping, finials.
Interior: barrel-vaulted cellars with stone tables. Central room (housebody) has chamfered fireplace with deep lintel inscribed '16 LAU DEO 38', cornice and timber relieving arch; chamfered spine-beams; to either side of fireplace a chamfered quoined basket-arched doorway and a similar doorway to outshut. Left room has large quoined basket-arched fireplace and doorway to housbody. First floor: a stop-chamfered ogee-arched fireplace to central room and another, Tudor-arched, with C19 grate. Former timber frame indicated by timbers between central and right rooms: a post rises from below, braced to tiebeam, the brace morticed for a post to the rail and the tiebeam with mortices for a studded wall.
The house was owned by members of the Waterhouse family in the C16 and until 1616; George Towne bought it in 1625 (Kendall pp.98-99).
H P Kendall, "Ancient Halls of Norland", Halifax Antiquarian Society, vol 2 (1904), pp.93-1ll.
RCHM(E) Report (31471).
Listing NGR: SE0721323028
Other nearby listed buildings