This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7032 / 53°42'11"N
Longitude: -1.8965 / 1°53'47"W
OS Eastings: 406931
OS Northings: 422973
OS Grid: SE069229
Mapcode National: GBR HT6M.68
Mapcode Global: WHB8N.V53X
Plus Code: 9C5WP433+7C
Entry Name: Lower Old Hall and Lower Old Hall Cottage
Listing Date: 15 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184892
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339289
Location: Calderdale, HX6
Electoral Ward/Division: Greetland and Stainland
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Norland
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SOWERBY BRIDGE NORLAND TOWN ROAD
16/147 Lower Old Hall and Lower
15.11.66 Old Hall Cottage
House, rear wing now separate cottage. 1634 for George Taylor. Coursed squared
stone, stone slate roof. T-shaped; 2 storeys, 3 gabled bays, right one with base-
ment; central rear wing. Left bay set forward; 2-storey porch between right-hand
bays. Chamfered plinth; double-chamfered mullion and transom windows; continuous
moulded string. Left bay: a 6-light window with king mullion to each floor, upper
one having hoodmould with rounded terminals flanked by letters 'G' 'T'. Central
bay: 9-light window with 8-light window under dripmould above, both with king
mullions. Porch: moulded Tudor-arched doorway with lintel dated '1634'
GET (George and
Elizabeth Taylor) and with 3 wool sacks; flanking columns have kinked fluting and
bases with lozenges and support entablature; above, a moulded pedestal and 3-light
window under dripmould flanked by gutter spouts; parapet gabled over window, (as
at Fallingworth Hall (qv));on first floor of left return a trefoil light and of right
return a chamfered light; inside, stone benches and moulded Tudor-arched inner door-
way. Right bay: basement (possibly originally a wool shop) has steps down to Tudor
arched doorway on left of 3-light window; single-chamfered 3-light ground floor
window; above, a 5-light-window under hoodmould with heart stops and date '16' '34'.
Gables have moulded coping and finials. Corniced stack to ridge of left bay and
double one between right-hand bays. Rear: main range: plinth and string continued.
Left bay has a 2-light window, right bay a 2-light window to left of 3-light window,
now door, with a 2-light and 3-light window above. Right return: plinth and string
continued. In gable of main range a small double-chamfered light to first floor.
Wing, from left: an ogee-arched doorway; an inserted doorway; a 6-light window
(2 mullions removed); a blocked inserted doorway. On first floor an inserted window;
a gutter spout, and a 5-light window (2 mullions removed). Stack to right end.
Attached barn on right; converted to house not of interest. Interior: central
house body: the main feature is the Tudor-arched moulded ashlar fireplace with
Carolean baluster-like motifs under stylised heads to jambs, heavily-moulded
cornice, frieze reading 'FEARE'GOD HONOUR THE KINGE', moulded cornice and elaborate
plaster overmantel with royal arms and wording 'DIEU ET MON DRO IT
G E' flanked by caryatids
under grotesque heads, cherubs and the arms of the Bishops of Cantebury and Earls
of Derby. Also noteworthy are the 5 Tudor-arched and basket-arched chamfered door-
ways and two 6-panel doors with linenfold panelling; the frieze on two walls with
cherubs, pregnant women over lions' heads and pomegranates; and the stop-chamfered
spine-beams and moulded joists. In the left-hand room (parlour) are a square-headed
fireplace with deep moulded lintel, the Royal arms (initialled (CR'), the Derby
arms and other motifs above it, and stop-chamfered moulded spine-beams and joists.
The room behind this (service room) has stop-chamfered spine-beams and joists.
Stone stair. In Lower Old Hall Cottage (the kitchen) a large chamfered Tudor-arched
fireplace. On first floor (of Hall) a stop-chamfered doorway to rear wing (blocked)
and 2 other doorways, into the front left room which has a small Tudor-arched moulded
fireplace with plasterwork of pomegranate tree above, and into the central room
which has a chamfered Tudor-arched fireplace. Roof timbers not visible except for
base of purlins.
L Ambler, The Old Halls and Manor House of Yorkshire, 1913.
H P Kendall, 'Ancient Halls of Norland', Halifax Antiquarian Society, Vol 2, 1904,
RCHM(E) report (31464).
Listing NGR: SE0693122973
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings