This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7059 / 53°42'21"N
Longitude: -1.8955 / 1°53'43"W
OS Eastings: 406998
OS Northings: 423275
OS Grid: SE069232
Mapcode National: GBR HT6L.F8
Mapcode Global: WHB8N.V3LV
Plus Code: 9C5WP443+8R
Entry Name: Norland Hall
Listing Date: 15 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184420
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339251
Location: Calderdale, HX6
Electoral Ward/Division: Greetland and Stainland
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Norland
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SOWERBY BRIDGE LONDON ROAD
(east side, off), Norland
Farmhouse. Dated 'IBT 1690' (John and Betty Taylor), restored and altered 1960s.
Large blocks of coursed squared stone, coursed rubble to left return; stone slate
roof. 2 storeys, 2 gabled bays. South-west (garden) front: central 2-storey gabled
porch: cusped plinth with whorl decoration; moulded doorway with round-cornered soffit
to monolithic lintel; above it a 1-over-3-light window with hoodmould and datestone
over; shaped kneelers, moulded coping, ball finials (only bases survive on kneelers);
gutter spout in angle with main range on right; chamfered lst-floor oculus in left
return; inner stone benches and board door in moulded Tudor-arched surround with
diamond on stop of left jamb. Main range: chamfered plinth; double-chamfered mullion
windows. Left bay has an 8-light window with king mullion, continuous ground-floor
dripmould and, above a 4-light transomed window with decoratively-stopped hoodmould.
Right bay similar but ground -floor window has 3-lights made into a doorway, now
blocked, the dripmould terminates in starred roundels and the 1st-floor hoodmould has
heart-and-diamond stops. Kneelers, shaped coping, ball finials. Corniced external
stack to left, 1960s external stack to right. Rear: rendered. 2 gabled bays, right
one slightly set forward. Windows are single-chamfered. Left bay has doorway
inserted to left of 2-light window with 3-light window above. Right bay has 2-light
window (mullion removed) on left, 3-light flat-faced mullion window to right, and
3-light window above. Kneelers, coping. Eaves stack to ends. Left return: right
part is gabled. The external stack is quoined and stepped; to its right is a lowered
2-light window with hoodmould. To left end a 3-light window with 2-light single-
chamfered window above. Right return: to right of external stack wall is of 1960s
rebuild. Interior: front left room has restored Tudor-arched moulded fireplace with
central shield pendant dated 'ITB and cornice. Front right room has moulded,
decoratively-stopped, Tudor-arched fireplace and imported C17 2-panel door with
decorative heads to panels. The house was built by John Taylor as a residence for a
younger son, also John. Taylor himself lived at the original Norland Hall, just to
the west of this building, which was dismantled and exported in the early C20 (Kendall
1904, p.l0l and 1910).
H P Kendall, "Ancient Halls of Norland", Halifax Antiquarian Society, Vol 2, 1904,
H P Kendall, "Norland Hall", Halifax Antiquarian Society, Vol 8, 1911, pp.1-39.
Listing NGR: SE0699823275
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings