This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6798 / 53°40'47"N
Longitude: -1.6813 / 1°40'52"W
OS Eastings: 421148
OS Northings: 420413
OS Grid: SE211204
Mapcode National: GBR JTPW.SN
Mapcode Global: WHC9X.4RNW
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134677
English Heritage Legacy ID: 340799
Location: Mirfield, Kirklees, WF14
Civil Parish: Mirfield
Built-Up Area: Mirfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Mirfield Team Parish
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
MIRFIELD UD CHURCH LANE
SE 22 SW (Mirfield)
14/3/66 Church of St. Mary
Large church, 1871 in Early English style, by Sir George Gilbert
Scott. Ashlar. Steeply pitched stone slate roof. 5-bay nave
with clerestory. Lean-to north and south aisles, gabled south
porch. 2-bay chancel with chapel to south and vestry to north.
Large square west tower in 4 reducing stages. Diagonal buttresses
to lower 2 tiers which become octagonal buttresses to upper 2 tiers
and terminate in large pinnacles with spires. Plain parapet on
corbel table Very large bell-chamber openings, 2-light with plate
tracery and cinquefoil in head and 3 orders of colonnettes in
reveals. The 2nd tier has tall, triple group of slender lancets,
the outer lights blind. Very elaborate double west doorway with
centre colonnette, diaper work in tympana and roundel in head with
well carved figures. Two inscriptions at base of tower in memory
of Joshua Ingham of Blake Hall, and Joseph Lee of Shillbank. Aisle
windows are 2-light with plate tracery and quatrefoil in head. The
clerestory is in the form of a blind gothic arcade, with very small
lancet to every third arch. Paired lancets to chancel and south
chapel. The east window consists of 3 tall lancets with roundel
with quatrefoil in apex.
Interior: Ashlar. 5-bay arcade to north and south on alternate
octagonal piers with different foliated capitals, and round piers
with plain capitals. Moulded arches. Similar large chancel arch.
2-bay arcaded chancel with black marble colonnettes around central
columns. Choir stalls in chancel. Reredos in form of elaborate
gothic arcade, 5-bays in sandstone with mosaic, to each side and 5
central bays in marble with sculped figures, and a crucifixion scene
in centre. Elaborate oak panelling to left side of chancel, sedilia
and piscina to right. 3 memorial east windows to members of the
Ingham family (d.1877-8) by Burlison and Grylls 1882 (Pevsner).
Organ to left. Chapel to right with oak screen. Good carved oak
pulpit with inlay and carved figures of St. John the Baptist, St.
Paul and St. Augustine of Canterbury. Vaulted tower ceiling with
ribs to centre circle. Red and black marble font, with elaborate
carved oak cover of c.1931. Arched braced collar roof to chancel.
Large arched braced crown-post trusses to nave.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.
Listing NGR: SE2114820413
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings