This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6783 / 53°40'41"N
Longitude: -1.6838 / 1°41'1"W
OS Eastings: 420983
OS Northings: 420253
OS Grid: SE209202
Mapcode National: GBR JTPX.84
Mapcode Global: WHC9X.3SGZ
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 14 March 1966
Last Amended: 3 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300318
English Heritage Legacy ID: 340829
Location: Mirfield, Kirklees, WF14
Civil Parish: Mirfield
Built-Up Area: Mirfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Mirfield Team Parish
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
MIRFIELD UD PINFOLD LANE
SE 22 SW (Mirfield)
The Old Rectory
14/3/66 (formerly listed as
No. 13 (Old Rectory)
Private house, former rectory. Probably early C16. The right
gable is dated 1540. Extensively modernised probably in early
C20. Stone ground floor of C20 date though earlier walling is
visible at left end of facade. Timber framed upper floor to
facade and right gable. Stone slate roofs. 2 storeys.
Rectangular 4-bay main house with penthouse to right side of
right gable. C20 wing to rear and recent wing adjoining this.
2 storeys. The main facade has ground floor mullioned windows
of 4, 6 and 4 lights and an arched entrance. The upper floor
is of 4 bays with close studding. Wooden casement windows, all
transomed and of 10, 10, 12 and 8 lights, some have opening side-
hung lights. The right gable is stone to ground floor with a
5-light canted bay. 1st floor is jettied and has close studding
and diagonal strutting. Peg holes indicate that the gable would
have had barge-boards. Finial at apex the pendant part of which
has T.S. 1540 (Thomas Savile). In the centre is a 10-light
projecting, wooden casement window. The tie-beam of the truss
is moulded. To the right is the penthouse which would probably
have contained the staircase. Projecting stack to left gable
with 2-light double chamfered window left and right 1st floor.
Five sets of posts carrying king-post trusses, with struts, are
all visible in the upper rooms. The king posts are braced to
ridge. The two rooms to the right, ground floor, have exposed
ceiling with main beam and secondary beams, joists and secondary
joists, all moulded, probably C17. One room has a wide Tudor
arched fireplace with moulded surround, probably C17.
Thomas Savile purchased the Rectory from Kirklees Priory in 1539.
H. N. Pobjoy, A History of Mirfield, 1968.
Listing NGR: SE2098320253
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings