This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7466 / 53°44'47"N
Longitude: -1.6012 / 1°36'4"W
OS Eastings: 426395
OS Northings: 427874
OS Grid: SE263278
Mapcode National: GBR KT83.4P
Mapcode Global: WHC9R.C3R4
Entry Name: Public Library
Listing Date: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135104
English Heritage Legacy ID: 341809
Location: Morley, Leeds, LS27
Civil Parish: Morley
Built-Up Area: Morley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Morley St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE2627NW LS27 COMMERCIAL STREET
MORLEY (west side)
8/19 Public Library
Public library. 1905-6. Ashlar facade, hammer-dressed stone to sides and
rear, Welsh blue-slate roof. 2-storey front block, single-storey rear range.
6-bay symmetrical facade with lst-floor entablature and dentil cornice.
Outer bays set forward slightly have tripartite windows with Ionic outer
pilasters and engaged columns as mullions. 1st floor has quoin pilasters
with cornice, entablature and open triangular pediment with bracketed cornice
above window in eared architrave with triple keystone and segmental pediment.
Central 2 bays have portal with Ionic pilasters and columns, entablature
supporting segmental pediment, doorway with eared architrave, frieze and
triple keystone the tympanum with foliated carved cartouche, and double doors
each of 3 raised-and-fielded panels. Doorway flanked by narrow windows in
eared architraves with triple keystones. Windows above articulated by Ionic
pilasters. Bracketed cornice and balustraded parapet. Hipped roof to front
2 bays. Rear: attached single-storey block has 5 bays of plain rectangular
windows with chamfered lintels and sills. Gutter brackets and coped gable
with ridge stack.
Interior: tiled entrance hall with mosaic floor has Ionic pilasters flanking
wall plaque recording
"THIS BUILDING WAS
ERECTED THROUGH THE
GENEROSITY OF ANDREW
CARNEGIE Esq. : : : OF
SKIBO CASTLE, SCOTLAND
1905-6: AND OPENED BY
HALL CAINE Esq. 27th Oct. 1906".
Included for group value.
Listing NGR: SE2639527874
Other nearby listed buildings