This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.883 / 53°52'58"N
Longitude: -1.4453 / 1°26'42"W
OS Eastings: 436561
OS Northings: 443124
OS Grid: SE365431
Mapcode National: GBR LRBJ.WS
Mapcode Global: WHDB5.RNZK
Entry Name: Church of All Hallows
Listing Date: 30 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342127
Location: Bardsey cum Rigton, Leeds, LS17
Civil Parish: Bardsey cum Rigton
Built-Up Area: Bardsey
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bardsey All Hallows
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
CHURCH LANE, LS17 (east side)
Church of All Hallows
Parish church. Anglo-Saxon tower between 850-950 raised later C10, parapet
early C20, north aisle Norman, c1100-1125; south aisle Transitional, c1175-1200;
aisles widened C14 with Perpendicular windows inserted C15; chancel early C14;
much restored north chapel c1520, now the vicar's vestry; south chapel built as
the Bayley family pew c1724 now choir vestry; roof raised C19; restored 1909
by Charles R. Chorley and Son (Leeds) (Linstrum, p374). Red sandstone coursed
rubble to tower and aisles; hammer-dressed gritstone to clerestorey, chancel and
south transept; ashlar porch and dressings to restored windows; stone slate roofs.
West tower, aisled nave with clerestorey, south porch, north and south chapels,
chancel. Slender tower embraced by aisles gives the west front an unusual
appearance as if the tower were rising out of a gable. Long and short work on
this face: 8 courses of large dressed quoins; masonry disturbed from insertion
of 2-light Perpendicular window matching flanking windows set in west end of
aisles with C12 lancets set between tower; earlier roof line of aisles clearly
discernible as is steeply-pitched gable on tower, thought to indicate the presence
of an original pre-Conquest porch (Pevsner, p90). West and north faces of tower
have a small light under lancet and inserted 2-light Perpendicular belfry windows
with clock-face to north; south face has two C12 two-light baluster belfry windows;
east face has traces of herringbone masonry; embattled parapet with corbel table
(restored). Nave: 3 bays. Gabled porch set in 1st bay protects repositioned
fine-carved Norman south doorway: 3 orders, outer with beakhead ornament, chevron,
plain inner, carried on 2 engaged columns with decorated capitals and moulded
impost. Aisles, with offset buttresses, and clerestorey have 2-light windows;
north doorway has pointed arch. North chapel: single bay, extension of aisle
with buttress between. South chapel, at right angles has coped gable flush with
aisle, offset buttress, set in apex is stone carved with 5 blind trefoils, gable
stack. Its right return has 2-light window (restored). Lower single-bay chancel:
has angle buttresses and 3-light east window with round-headed lights, Y-tracery
filled with mouchettes; on south, priest's door to left of original C14 two-light
window with cusped lights in deeply-chamfered surround.
Interior: base of tower has round-arched doorway with stilted-arched window
above in north and south faces. Original 4 angles of the pre-Conquest nave
still remain: projecting corners with large dressed quoins to west and ½ columns
on tall square bases with different capitals. Western tower-arch altered,
(enlarged) in line with chancel arch, has 3 discernible roof lines: a flat roof,
2 steeply-pitched roof lines before present slightly flatter-pitched roof.
North arcade has short cylindrical columns with scolloped capitals and round-arched
arcade. South arcade taller with bell-shaped capitals with curled-leaf corners
and pointed arches with hoodmoulds. Chancel: north Tudor-arch blocked by organ
inserted c1867 (replaced 1934) with small cusped light to left; south wall has
two C14 pointed-arched windows with a lower cusped light. Sanctuary: 3-niche
sedilia with ogee lintels of C19 character, C15 piscina has trefoil-cusped arch.
Memorials: chancel: carved stone tablet to Charles Lister c1684 decorated with
winged-head angel spandrels; memorial to Richard Capstick, flat obelisk marble
tablet by J. Parker c1685; good wall tablet to Elizabeth Thorpe wife of Baron
Thorpe c1666, strapwork cartouche with broken pediment with heraldic lozenge;
2 funeral tablets to the Lane-Fox family of Bramham (q.v.). Base of tower
has 2 upright medieval grave slabs, one decorated with a cross. Royal Coat of
Arms c1819 and Benefactions board in south chapel. C19 king-post roof of heavy
The church is of considerable importance. The tower is probably the oldest
Saxon work in Yorkshire and the only example in the county of the former evidence
of a west porch, the tower being erected over it as at Monkwearmouth and Corbridge.
It is prominent within the village and has a remarkable visual appearance, the
tower curiously thin in proportion to the rest of the church. Illustrated in:
R. A. Carter, Yorkshire Churches, (1976) p6.
D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978) p158.
E. Pontefract and M. Hartley, The Charm of Yorkshire Churches, (no date) p15.
N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (1974) pp89,90.
Listing NGR: SE3655843124
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings