This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5268 / 51°31'36"N
Longitude: -2.3478 / 2°20'52"W
OS Eastings: 375967
OS Northings: 180931
OS Grid: ST759809
Mapcode National: GBR 0NS.77V
Mapcode Global: VH95V.8W5F
Entry Name: North Gateway to Dodington Park, Sites, Quadrant Walls and Chippenham Lodge and Terrace Walls
Listing Date: 17 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135785
English Heritage Legacy ID: 34060
Location: Sodbury, South Gloucestershire, BS37
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Sodbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Old Sodbury St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 78 SE SODBURY BADMINTON ROAD
2/13 (south side)
17.9.52 OLD SODBURY
North Gateway to
Dodington Park, sites,
quadrant walls and
Chippenham Lodge and
Mostly early C19 by James Wyatt, incorporating extension to north-west.
Gateway: Ashlar; one large segmental arch flanked by 2 smaller ones with blank panels
above. Panelled pilasters. Cornice and parapet surmounted by Codrington crest - a
winged dragon. Cast iron gates. To either side low, quadrant walls screen inner open
colonnades of Tuscan columns with plain frieze, cornice and blocking course.
The north colonnade adjoins The Lodge: Ashlar with rusticated plinth. Hipped, slate
roof behind moulded cornice and blocking course.
Elevation to drive (south-east) 2 storeys. Corner piers framing 2 giant Tuscan
pilasters in antis. One glazing bar sash window with moulded architrave, bracketted
pediment and panel below. Above window a flat band, and a panel bearing sculptured
South-west elevation. Arched recess framed by corner piers. In recess, glazing bar
sash window in moulded architrave with decorative segmental panel above; small balcony
and small round-headed window.
Rear wing possibly later continues set-back; 2 glazing bar sash windows and blank
round-headed panel in square recess.
Interior. 'Jacobean'-style fireplace: ashlar, small arch opening, surrounded by
stone, grooved to appear as brick. Panelled jambs and lintel.
Attached to south-west elevation, balustraded, ashlar terrace walls with apsidal end
on rusticated plinth.
Listing NGR: ST7596780931
Other nearby listed buildings