History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gates and Screen Across the Main (South West) Approach to Cholmondeley Castle

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cholmondeley, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0567 / 53°3'24"N

Longitude: -2.6954 / 2°41'43"W

OS Eastings: 353487

OS Northings: 351278

OS Grid: SJ534512

Mapcode National: GBR 7K.CKRD

Mapcode Global: WH893.KFPH

Entry Name: Gates and Screen Across the Main (South West) Approach to Cholmondeley Castle

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Last Amended: 20 February 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1330124

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56883

Location: Cholmondeley, Cheshire East, SY14

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Cholmondeley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Bickley St Wenefrede

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Bickley

Listing Text

SJ 55 SW CHOLMONDELEY C.P. CHOLMONDELEY PARK


1/13 Gates and screen across
the main (S.W.) approach
to Cholmondeley Castle
(formerly listed as iron railings
12.1.67 and gate overthrow to W of
Cholmondeley Castle)
GV
II*
Gates and fencing across the south-west drive and across the flanking
grass verges leading to the castle west front, 1722 by Robert Bakewell
of Derbyshire (Jackson-Stops). The gates originally fronted the Old
Hall but were refixed in their present position following its
demolition in 1801. Wrought iron with stone end piers and dwarf wall
beneath screen. Pair of high-standing gates, with elaborate
overthrow, hung from built-up metal piers and flanked each side by two
panels of railings, also with central built-up metal piers, standing
on low stone wall. The outer ends of the screen have large panelled
stone end-piers which support heraldic animals and elaborate ramped
screen ends, based on scrolls and volutes. The screens are of square
bars with spear and leaf cresting, water lily pendants and with volute
and leaf dogbars as on the chapel gates (q.v.). The intermediate
piers also have the decorative features of the chapel gate piers being
similarly based on volutes, leaves, bobbins, sun motifs and with ogee
caps. The gates, and main support piers, are plainer being based
mainly on square bars. They rely on the segmental head of the gates,
the high quality overthrow, the ogee pier caps, with cavetto cornice,
and small ramped screen-end brackets for decoration. The dwarf wall,
on which the screen rests, is chamfered with flush coping. The stone
end-piers have moulded plinths, recessed panels and projecting
cornices. They support a hound with shield (east) and Griffin with
shield (west). Gervase Jackson-Stops in Country Life, 19 July 1984.


Listing NGR: SJ5348751278

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.