History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bunbury Aldersey School

A Grade II Listed Building in Bunbury, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1172 / 53°7'1"N

Longitude: -2.6556 / 2°39'20"W

OS Eastings: 356214

OS Northings: 357982

OS Grid: SJ562579

Mapcode National: GBR 7M.7PFG

Mapcode Global: WH99W.5XN4

Entry Name: Bunbury Aldersey School

Listing Date: 3 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136159

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56784

Location: Bunbury, Cheshire East, CW6

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Bunbury

Built-Up Area: Bunbury

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Bunbury St Boniface

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Spurstow

Listing Text

SJ 55 NE BUNBURY C.P. SCHOOL LANE

2/25 Bunbury Aldersey School

II

Formerly Grammar School for boys, 1874 (on entrance porch) by J
Douglas, now primary school. The Grammar School replaced a school,
near the church, which was founded by Thomas Aldersey in 1594. Red
brick with slate roof, in Gothic style, single storey, 5 bays. Deep
chamfered sandstone plinth. Projecting entrance bay has vertical
panelled, studdied door, with false strap hinges in stone dressed
opening with Tudor arch and ogee hood mould. This is surmounted by
the date and shields with the inscriptions "Alnus semper floreat" and
"serve and obey", these within a gabled apex with stone coping and
finial. Metal fixed lights in stone mullion and transome windows with
cusped heads and transome lights leaded. Large double transome
multi-light windows to west and east gables. Terra cotta eaves dentil
course supporting moulded cast iron gutter. Mid-roof lucarnes, with
twin lancet openings and octagonal slate clad turret. Stone copings
and finials to east and west gables.
Interior: Hall roof has elaborate trusses with brackets to collar
purlin and 4 posts above the beam. The ceiling is boarded. Plaques
on gate refer to the Haberdashers Company, who own the school. Thomas
Aldersey was a member of the Haberdashers Company.


Listing NGR: SJ5621457982

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.