This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5038 / 50°30'13"N
Longitude: -4.3155 / 4°18'55"W
OS Eastings: 235893
OS Northings: 69671
OS Grid: SX358696
Mapcode National: GBR NN.KMB3
Mapcode Global: FRA 17VQ.NJS
Entry Name: Chequettes Hall
Listing Date: 26 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136343
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61221
Location: Callington, Cornwall, PL17
Civil Parish: Callington
Built-Up Area: Callington
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Callington
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 36 NE CALLINGTON CHURCH STREET (west side),
8/20 Chequettes Hall
House, now retail premises. Circa 1719. Staircase projection added circa 1730s.
Rear wing probably added in late C18 reusing earlier stonework and extended in 1860s
when south side was remodelled. Shop front added in 1959. Front of granite ashlar ,
partly obscured by glazed shop front. Side and rear walls of rubblestone with
granite dressings. Partly slate hung to rear of staircase projection on the west.
South front of rear projecting wing of granite ashlar. Slate roof with hipped ends.
Originally 2 room with cross passage which was extended by addition of rear staircase
wing. Service rooms added to rear in further projecting single depth wing on north
west. Wing extended under catslide roof towards south. 3 storey range; symmetrical
5 window east front with rusticated granite corner pilasters and plain granite
strings. Ground floor with C20 projecting glazed shop front with flat roof. Cut
stone flat arches to original openings remaining. Openings widened by amalgamating
windows flanking central entrance. First floor, five 12-pane sashes without horns
beneath cut stone arches with keystones. Second floor, five 9-pane sashes (top 3-
panels) without horns. Moulded and modillioned wooden eaves cornice. Right-hand
side with second floor sash window of 9-panes (top 3-panes) with heavy C18 glazing
bars. Left-hand side with late C19 canted bay window. Above on first and second
floor, 2 light casements with pointed heads. 2 staircase windows to projecting wing.
Rear projecting 2 storey wing with slate and asbestos slate roof with gabled end to
east and hipped to west. Granite south front with pointed headed windows to ground
floor and projecting single storey porch. Reused greenstone 2-centred arch with
moulded jambs. Further projecting wings to rear, circa late C19.
Interior Ground floor of main range, right-hand side with remains of dentilled
cornice and two C18 cupboards. On left, ribbed plasterwork remodelled circa 1880s,
contemporary with addition of bay window. Original stair, circa 1730s with elegant
wreathed handrail, slightly moulded and ramped at corners. Turned balusters on
square bases. Open string with carved scroll brackets. Full dado rail with
pilasters surviving. Moulded cornices. Second floor, main range with remains of dado
rail and fielded panelling in window bays.
Possibly on site of manor of Callington (Chicketts Hall). Horndon family held lease
of Chequettes Hall from 1720s until William Horndon built Pencrebar (qv) in 1848-49.
N Pevsner and E Radcliffe Buildings of England. Cornwall. Second edition, 1970
S Lightbody The Book of Callington 1982
Listing NGR: SX3589669673
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings