History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Clink and Forecourt Wall and Arch to South

A Grade II Listed Building in Callington, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5034 / 50°30'12"N

Longitude: -4.3161 / 4°18'58"W

OS Eastings: 235847

OS Northings: 69633

OS Grid: SX358696

Mapcode National: GBR NN.KM5V

Mapcode Global: FRA 17VQ.NBC

Entry Name: Old Clink and Forecourt Wall and Arch to South

Listing Date: 26 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1140076

English Heritage Legacy ID: 61228

Location: Callington, Cornwall, PL17

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Callington

Built-Up Area: Callington

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Callington

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Callington

Listing Text

SX 36 N CALLINGTON FORE STREET (north side),

8/27 Old clink and forecourt wall and
arch to south.

GV II

Vestry room and 2 lock-up cells used as a store. 1851 (datestone) at cost of £60
paid by John Couch Johns. Rubblestone with large granite quoins. String between
ground and first floor. Slate roof with gabled ends to north, south and east.
Projecting stone stack on west with shaft removed. Square plan with 2 rectangular
cells on ground floor and single vestry room on first. 2 storeys, asymmetrical south
front. Entrances to cells under 4-centred cut stone arches with original heavy
planked doors and fanlights above. Bars to fanlight removed on right. First floor;
2-light casement with pointed Gothic glazing bars. Granite lintel. 4-centred
granite arch doorway to right with plank door approached by external stone rubble
steps. East side; 3-light casement with pointed Gothic glazing bars and datestone
above in gable end. North side with similar casement. Ground rises to north to
enclose ground floor. Rubblestone walls extending to south to enclose area in front
of clink. Large 4-centred cut granite arch with incised spandrels forming entrance
in centre on south.
In 1851 Henry Bullen was appointed Parish Constable and used the 2 lock-up cells for
drunks and vagrants. Vestry room was used by the relieving officers, with the
overseer in attendance, when distributing weekly to the 'Out Poor'.
Sheila Lightbody The Book of Callington 1982


Listing NGR: SX3585069636

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.