This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.427 / 50°25'37"N
Longitude: -4.9454 / 4°56'43"W
OS Eastings: 190896
OS Northings: 62720
OS Grid: SW908627
Mapcode National: GBR ZN.666L
Mapcode Global: FRA 07JX.P5Y
Entry Name: Mortuary Chapels
Listing Date: 12 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138224
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71259
Location: St. Columb Major, Cornwall, TR9
Civil Parish: St. Columb Major
Built-Up Area: St Columb Major
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Columb Major
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST COLUMB MAJOR TREKENNING ROAD, St Columb Major
SW 96 SW
7/258 Mortuary Chapels
Pair of mortuary chapels. Circa 1856. Squared granite rubble with granite dressings.
Steep pitched slate roofs with crested ridge tiles and gable ends with raised coped
Plan: Symmetrical pair of mortuary chapels, each of single cell plan with gabled
porch at the front gable end and ritual east at the rear. Gothic style.
Exterior: Each chapel has granite plinth and weathered angle buttresses and
buttresses to sides. The front has a gabled porch with 2-centred arched doorway;
inner 2-centred arched doorway, door with raised fillets. Circular window above with
3 quatrefoils in tracery. Each side is of 2 bays divided by buttresses, with 2
lancets with hood moulds, some lattice glazing remaining. The rear has 3-light
Perpendicular window with 2-centred arch and hood mould.
Interior: The chapel to right is plain plastered inside, with 4-bay arched-brace
roof, the central truss rising from stone corbels, with collar and king post.
Listing NGR: SW9089662720
Other nearby listed buildings