This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4291 / 50°25'44"N
Longitude: -4.9426 / 4°56'33"W
OS Eastings: 191105
OS Northings: 62948
OS Grid: SW911629
Mapcode National: GBR ZN.60YY
Mapcode Global: FRA 07JX.J89
Plus Code: 9C2QC3H4+MX
Entry Name: Philiphaugh
Listing Date: 12 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144074
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71255
Location: St. Columb Major, Cornwall, TR9
Civil Parish: St. Columb Major
Built-Up Area: St Columb Major
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Columb Major
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST COLUMB MAJOR STATION ROAD, St Columb Major
SW 96 SW
House, now residential home. Dated 1893, with alterations and additions of C20.
Slatestone rubble with granite dressings. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and
gable ends. Gable end stacks with brick shafts.
Plan: Double depth plan, with principal room to front right and left, the front room
to left with a circular tower at the left side and the entrance in a porch set in the
angle between the two rooms. The rear range contains service rooms and extends
beyond the front range at the right side, forming a wing to rear right.
Exterior: 2 storeys, an asymmetrical front with a 3-storey tower to left. The bay to
left has a stepped gable, with porch set in the angle; the bay to right is slightly
set back, also with a stepped gable. The porch has a round arch with colonnettes and
pitched roof, inner C19 panelled and glazed door with overlight. 2-light C19
casement with chamfered granite mullion and surround above. To left, there is a 3-
light chamfered granite mullion and transom window at ground and first floor, with a
tall stepped gable above with single chamfered granite light. To end left, the 3-
storey tower is circular, with corbelled embattled parapet; chamfered granite mullion
and transom windows at each floor. To right of the porch there is a canted bay at
ground floor with 4 chamfered granite lights. At first floor a 3-light granite
mullion and transom window, and a stepped gable over the single light. All windows
are C19 plate-glass-sashes. At the left side there is a single storey C20 addition.
Single light at first floor. The stack at the gable end has buttresses. The right
end has single light at ground and first floor, and 2-light window to the attic. The
service range extends to right, with 3-light granite window at ground and first
floor. The gable end to right has C20 door and 3-light granite window at first
floor. At the rear there is a large C20 addition.
Interior: The porch leads to an entrance hall with stair; at the rear there is a
large window lighting the stair, with stained glass showing rural scenes with herons,
dated 1893. The stair is a dog-leg, with turned balusters, boxed in, in C20.
Listing NGR: SW9110562948
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings